Trumpet in a Townhouse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 15, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    My neighbors are great and I practice with the wIndows open. I know you can't always count on that sort of luck. I would definitely have a plan B ready. Sound proof room or something like that. I am reaLly not a fan of practicing with a mute or even in a sound proof room. I can't prove it but my gut says the interaction or mental feedback is affected. I don't know what or if that translates to something when you are in an open room either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I once tried to implement a "Plan B" out in the bush near where I live. Hardly any trees around there, and though I say "bush" I really mean "flat dry grassland". Very dissatisfying to play there - very little feedback even when I was overblowing. I probably annoyed a few wombats and kangaroos too. And Drop-bears.

--bumblebee

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am not sure I would want to irritate a wombat .... the critter might grab your trumpet and pull it back into his hole ... and I for one would never consider going after it

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Wombats - somewhat like crocs - they're logs with legs - wombats are short logs while crocs are long amphibious logs.

I have "borrowed" the local Sout Hall for my practice, and more recently introduced myself to the local school principal and he's lent me the school hall on a regular basis - in response, I've assisted in setting up a band to address the needs of his graduates who are 'threatened' by the big kids at High School Band and so don't take music at High School.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You're pretty lucky, Ted. I asked my son's school principal if I could use a room or hall in the evenings but was told I'd have to pay $20/hour and show proof of my public liability insurance. This was a shame because we live 2 minutes by foot from the school, and would have saved the emissions and time to drive to the office.

--bumblebee

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have used a stemless Harmon as a practice mute all my life, the neighbours don't even know that I try to play trumpet...

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've got a whole slew of mutes and the stemless Harmon is the only one I use anymore. I can practice at 5 am with the Harmon, in the Turtle Shed, and nobody hears it. I had just assumed that the neighbors across the street had been hearing my open trumpeting in the shed, and before that, in a back room of the house .... But then, I spoke with them recently, and they didn't even know I play the trumpet. They had never heard it.

Often, sound does not travel as far as you think, and neighbors are funny .... Another one compained to me after I built the shed, that she never hears my practicing any more. :dontknow:

SmoothO, one of the best things you can do is talk to the neighbors about it before you start. They will appreciate it and it can start off the trumpeter/non-trumpeter neighbor relationship on the right foot. They know you care .... and that goes a long way usually.

Turtle

8. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    My sister lived in a townhouse constructed as you describe. She had a nice audio system with a sub woofer and teenage kids. Her neighbors never complained and I never heard any noise from the neighbors.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Just take your horn with you when you go to look at properties. Explain to the agent your need to check out the accoustical properties of the property, both within, where you see how you sound to yourself, and then ask the neighbors to give you feedback when you play, if the townhouse is already occupied. Ask the agent to go next door and listen if that space is empty, or if the neighbors aren't home he will need to get a key so to get in and listen.

10. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous New Friend

Sep 1, 2012
    Honestly, I think it depends on how good you are.