Trumpet in a Townhouse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 15, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Do good players not clam notes when they practice?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ?????????? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    My next question is what about my jungle kit with the stuffed 16" bass drum with a bunch of cymbals(no toms) which I like to play swing and jazz with? I expect if it flies at all it would have to be in the bed room of an end unit away from the joining wall.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It's "Clams Are Us" in the practice room.

Oh, man! Now you're into loud territory. Drums are a whole different animal, wall-pentrating-wise. Trust me, I've been through this before ..... Your drums will travel considerably more than the trumpet, and are a whole lot harder to contain, especially the bass drum!!!!!

Do it anyway. :thumbsup:

Here's the formula ...... Yes, it needs to be stuffed with pillows (or something like that) .... Then, disconnect it from the floor by some device, either with metal stand type holders, or better yet, with an Auralex unit that's intended to put a big guitar amp on, that totally disconnects it from the floor and will not allow the floor to vibrate under it. I got one for my huge guitar amp for $50 (Sweetwater or Guitar Center). The, you need to point it away from your neighbors and towards a wall, but with some sort of "baffle" in between the drum and the wall. Try taking a 4 x 8 foot 4 inch thick slab of rigid insulation, and cut it up to make your baffle, so that it's about 12 inches thick. Put this on the floor right in front of the bass drum.

Next, get some of this little gel stick on tabs that reduce the vibrations and overtones of drum heads and stick a few of them on the bass drum and on each of the cymbals. Also get light sticks so your cymbals are managebly quieter. That should make it work, but use discretion as to what time of day you play this jazz setup.

Or, do what I just did ..... get an electronic drum kit and play with headphones.

Turtle

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I should be OK since a 16" bass drum has to be elevated for the beater anyway. Lite sticks and brushes check.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Neighbors Smeighbors, who cares! Play loud and proud!!! ROFL

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I lived in a townhouse in N VA as was built in 1987 and had others on both sides. Simplest put, sound proofing reduction was nearly non-existent. I could even hear a neighbor's buzzing alarm clock. Still, for trumpet / cornet practice I encountered no obstacles as my neighbors on both sides left home about 6:30 AM and didn't return until about 7:00 PM or later. One of my neighbors played piano, but I didn't object whereas she was very good, then too such wasn't constant.

While hollow core doors are amplifiers, so too, central HVAC ducts mainly in the walls between units transmit sound. There are many other construction methods that do nothing to reduce sound and often make it noisier. An aged cloudy thermo window is indicative that it no longer provides optimum thermal reductive penetration, but will sometimes vibrate with musical sounds.

Anybody note, or use the Yamaha sound reductive panels currently advertised in your home "studio"?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I told my Grandfather I sang tenor ... and he quickly replied, "That's great ... ten or15 miles away." When later I told him I then sang baritone, he replied, "That's great when you sing in a barrel and keep the lid on." My Grandfather was locally renown for his playing of the "fiddle", and though he could read music it was difficult for him after he was blinded in one eye and subsequently had to undergo cateract surgery in the other ... and that didn't stop his fiddling or much else it seemed to me.

9. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello, there are many good accoustic deadening pads available. They easily velcro to wall and are removable, try some on a corner in the practice room. Also, ask your neighbors if it bothers them. I am always surprised when a neighbor says, No Problem. Don't surprise them, always a mistake.
    Many years ago, I was living in an apt. My neighbor hated the trumpet, so I called the ACLU. The guy said" Man get a house in the middle of nowhere, you don't have a right to disturb people". However, once you let people know you play, don't complain about noise!

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    my next door neighbour is away a lot but when he's home I do'nt play before 10AM or after 9PM as a rule, my other neighbour is a trombone player and comes round once a week for a jam, if he hears me play he sends me a text and comments on my playing!