Trumpet in a Townhouse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG] Originally Posted by A.Nonymous [​IMG]
    Honestly, I think it depends on how good you are.

"Do good players not clam notes when they practice?"

Good golfers play bad shots. Just not very many of them. And their good shots are soooo much better than normal people's good shots.

Substitute trumpeter for golfer, and notes for shots.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    See that is the thing I am worried about. I don't want to be at the whim of an uncontrollable pets, or creepy sci-fi movie music etc, just because I play trumpet, that is why I would prefer a structural solution to a social solution.

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I must be living in the past--I'm still using a Shastock Whispa mute. I live in an apartment and, because I work weird hours at my job, I practice at all hours of the day and night with the mute in. BTW--Good to see Solar Bell posting again!!

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    +1

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Please elaborate. I'm coming up with zip,zero,nada!

6. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I would wager that firewall calculations are not necessarily commensurate with sound reduction, and as was noted previously, there are other aspects that may come into play (e.g., HVAC systems, shared structural beams, etc.) that could carry vibrations.

I think your best bet would be to ask your next door neighbor to conduct a test for you. Blast some notes & get feedback on how loud it is on the other side. You might be good-to-go without having to do a thing! :)

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I think the point of a double stud, is that a double stud wall structuraly decouples the buildings so there isn't transmission through the the studs themselves, because one set of studs holds one set of sheet rock and the other set of studs holds the other with fluff in between. Naturally seperate HVAC would be necessary. And testing would be most appropriate. However, it seems that it is possible.

8. Mr. J

Mr. J New Friend

Oct 9, 2012
    Sunny South floriDUH
    *Normally* a firewall is concrete block, if not slabcrete, not double/hollow/stud, as stud, sheetrock, and insulation will not stop a fire. If your not sure, take off an outlet or switch cover on that wall and shine a flashlight in. If you have a shallow box, chances are 98% is't some form of cement. If you have a deep box, it's stud, insulation & sheetrock, and won't stop anything. Fire, noise, bugs, or burglars. :shock:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    Recursion likes this.
  9. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Sorry, I didn't see your mention of double stud. But yeah, concrete block's the usual material. The shallow v. deep electrical box is a good check. Was your unit previously commercial by chance? You'd probably be sitting pretty if it was.