Trumpet in a Townhouse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 15, 2012.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I can give you a clue from the neighbours perspective - I lived in a double brick house with small windows and right next door was a double brick house with small windows - the neighbour played (and taught) sax. He was a pretty fair sax player, worked professionally (as a sax player you understand). What we were subjected to was a reasonable practice regime on his part but the bit that became a little annoying was the repitition from the students. The same pieces, the same mistakes. But it's amazing what a neighbour will bare, if you are pleasant. Talk to your neighbours - they might just be humans.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    They might not be: The Neighbors (2012)

(sorry - couldn't resist that)

--bumblebee

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I get that from the lady next door to me she only just hears the horn because I play it in the room furthest from the shared wall no problem. However I've just started palying the piano again and that is in the living room with the shared wall. I mentioned it to her a few days ago and was told no its fine, I just got a glass of wine and listened the other night, might be nice if you could try something other than "Someone to Watch over Me" though. (I'm busking classics from lead sheets)

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I think it is interesting that the concrete walls have lower STC than double drywall double stud. Window transmission is definitely an issue though double pane :thumbsup: is definitely on my list of must haves for comfort, oh yeah and energy bills.

But what if you opened the window to listen? I'm afraid that is a different problem.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Yeah, you should be good. Carry on!

Turtle

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That's why I always chose to live with foxy women next door!

turtlejimmy likes this.
  7. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003

If you never clam, you're really not practicing.

Garry

8. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    +1!!!!

9. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Soundproofing material may be an option, especially if you have a basement in your townhouse. I saw an episode of Flip This House with Armando Montelongo where they soundproofed a garage. His brother in law was living in the house and was a drummer. He had a band and they would rehearse in the garage. The soundproofing material was quite good and not too expensive. I seem to recall that it went on like sheetrock.
    I lived in a townhouse condo with very thick cinder block and my neighbors could barely hear me when I practiced. I was always careful not to practice too late, 9-9:30 was as late as I would go. Good luck.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I certainly had a lot of initial trepidation last year about tutoring 4 young boys their very first year playing the trumpet and certainly repetition and repeated mistakes tear at one's senses. Then I turned on the memory switch to remember that I was once sitting in their chair doing the very same ... and I still make mistakes and often I'm playing segments of songs over and over.

Too, I've been the listener to my daughter begin and learn to play an alto saxophone and subsequently the other saxes, clarinet and flute, and stiffened my shoulders and was determined to tutor these boys as well. Through some difficulty, they're all back again their second year. Maybe this year it will be the millionth time I've heard some Christmas carols played well and not so well. It helps a lot to wear sound suppresant ear plugs!