Trumpet in a Townhouse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Reminds me of the story about the couple, arriving at a hotel in New York, learning that Heifetz (sp?) was staying there requested a room next to his to be able to hear the wonderful music... and called back three hours later after hearing nothing but scales and long tones to request a room switch.

It's bad that way for us amateur producers - I will often play the same song hundreds of times throughout the recording, mastering process, sometimes looping a thirty second snippet 100X to comp just the right guitar lead.

My neighbors dogs bark a lot and while it shows up on my recordings from time to time (adds a Pink Floyd mystique to the proceedings) I'd never be one to complain. Live and let live.

When their dogs bark I get out my horn!

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I live in a duplex that has a basement and garages separate the living spaces. I practice in the basement, no mutes or silencers. My neighbors in the same building don't hear me play at all. The neighbors in the house on the other side do hear me (window sound transmission) but they don't mind as he used to play trumpet in high school and he also says that he knows I'm still alive when he hears the trumpet.