Trumpet in College

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jcoffey, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Jcoffey

Jcoffey New Friend

Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi all, I'm pretty new and I've been reading for a while, but just joined recently. Now, before I start my spiel, let me say that this is not another one of those "I'm looking for a school" threads. I already have a school. I'm trying to get in-depth perspectives on the best places to study. I can get online and in 5 seconds find out that Vizzutti teaches at Washington. I'm interested in more than just the teacher's name.

Anyways...

I know a kid who has his heart set on going to Northwestern for undergrad... he doesn't have a prayer. I've been trying to suggest schools with great music/trumpet programs, but aren't necessarily juggernauts like a Northwestern, Juilliard, Eastman, Michigan, etc. Schools I've suggested include (but aren't limited to) UCLA, Columbus State (GA), and BYU. Most of you have probably never even heard of the CSU or BYU music programs, so I'll give you some examples to avoid having my throat ripped out. The wind ensemble director at CSU went there from Eastman, where he was an assistant director. Their wind ensemble is absolutely incredible and they've been nominated for several Grammys (whether they won any, I don't know). BYU, on the other hand, has an incredible orchestra program. Anyone remember Nate Botts? He was the one who won both the classical and jazz solo competitions at ITG a few years ago. He was a student of David Brown at BYU.

Just wanted to get perspectives on other schools like this from ya'll.
    I'd also like to hear your perspective on undergrad vs grad for specific schools i.e. I know Rice has a great music program, but it's more geared towards grad students.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Western Michigan in Kalamazoo has a great music program and trumpet instructors, Steve Jones and Scott Thornberg and class act jazz bands. Also, my alma mater, Michigan State has a good music school and jazz program under Rodney Whittiker.

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    The teachers name leads you to their expertise and teaching success.

Illinois State University at Normal, Illinois. I'll let you find out who the teacher is and what HER background brings to undergraduate trumpet studies.

(Thank you for the correction.)

David Hickman and Allen Vizzutti are my top two.
    Terry Everson, Boston University.
    Now, do your homework.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  4. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    ^ Amy is a monster player and a great teacher. Good call there...

As for my recs.... Mike Tunnell at U of Louisville is one of the most incredible teachers I've ever seen as are John Rommel, Ed Cord, and Joey Tartell up in Indiana. Also look at Bill Campbell up at Michigan, Steve Plank at Oberlin, and Fred Mills down at UGA.

These are incredible teachers - having taken from the masters themselves.
    Tunnell studied with Jacobs, Ghitalla, Cicowiscz, and Vacchiano. not a bad resume, eh? On top of all that though, he is a class act, prob the nicest man I have ever met.

Check these people out - Goodluck!

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    JC,

I'll second the suggestion of Western Michigan as a place for a kid that isn't quite up to major music school (ie: Northwestern) caliber yet. My old friend Scott is a wonderful teacher and player. The program seems pretty good from what I've witnessed as well.

Best,
    EC

6. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    - Southern Methodist University (tom booth and lots of succesful grads)
    - University of Oklahoma (don't know the teacher, but undergrads have gone to Julliard and MSM in the last few years)
    - Grand Valley State (seems to put out good students blanking on teacher's name)

7. midwestchops

midwestchops Pianissimo User

Actually in Normal, IL is Illinois State. Western Illinois is in Macomb. Amy Gilreath is our trumpet prof. here at ISU and she is awesome. A great trumpet player and awesome teacher. We have a great music program and place more music educators for Illinois than any other school.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

In addition to Dave's recommendation for Michigan State,( his alma mater ), Mike Bowman who is the long time principal trumpet with the Grand Rapids Symphony Orchestra and a U. of Mich. grad is on faculty in trumpet performance at Mich. State. He is my friend, neighbor and part time trumpet teacher. There is hardly any better than Mike.

OLDLOU>>

9. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    JCoffey...I'd suggest grabbing any copy of the ITG Journal, its usually got dozens of musical schools advertised...then you can explore whatever catches your interest.

10. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Jim Klages is the the teacher at Univ. of Central Oklahoma.