Trumpet is like golf....is it just me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, May 28, 2013.

1. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I played golf once. December 1972. I doubt it's changed much since then.

Now, motorcycle racing. It's noisy, exciting and if you get it wrong there will be pain.

2. Stevetigerfan

Stevetigerfan New Friend

Feb 15, 2013
    England
    Golf is a lot like Trumpet with the dedication needed to perform at a good level although I think the learning curve is quicker for the Trumpet in as much as if you practice the same piece time after time on the Trumpet you soon see results, I have spent hours in lessons at the range only to hit a big slice of the 1st Tee on the golf course !!I have learned however with time and dedication consistency to my golf game has come about from the many hours practicing, I am now spending the same amount of time I used to spend hitting golf balls playing the Trumpet and really enjoying both of my hobbies, as I am not so obsessesd with golf anymore I think of myself as a trumpet player that plays golf and can play with more of a carefree attitude to my golf game.:D

Yes golf is a like Trumpet

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I think of it more like gambling. The odds are poor, really, but when it works... magic.

20? Hit me.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  6. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Just remember that golf is a good walk ruined. It might be alright if you played on the march while you walked between shots.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The only time I find the trumpet is like golf, is when I use my Ambassador as a 9 iron. Improved my game tremendously.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The contrasts here between these two statements is what give trumpet playing is beauty. All the coordination in the final execution is all concentrated in a small space and has the amazing adaptation control by the most intricate array of motor and sensory feedback neuronal control.

Golf is about getting muscle groups for all different parts of the body, controlled by areas all over our God given homunculus to try to navigate a pocked sphere through a variance of wind gusts into a hole that is a far... far... distance away from the execution point of origin.

And by the way... Did you ever hear a trumpet player yell.. Fore!

OK, OK, Eddie, my band leader may yell out "Four" but that results in a pleasurable rendering of a song by Miles Davis... rather than the instinctive reaction to dive for cover.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    golf and trumpet -- coordinating specific movements, thought patterns, muscle memory, and breathing to reach a goal --- both are similiar