Trumpet Journal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    I decided to keep a Trumpet Journal and was wondering if anyone does something similar.
    My idea is simply to keep a notebook in my case and jot down what I practiced, how it went, any revelations I have, interesting things about playing trumpet I come across (probably from you guys) and what my teacher tells me to be working on at the time.
    In one sense it will just be a record of what I'm doing—which will be interesting to look back on over time and see the progress—but it will also be a good way to remember what I'm supposed to be playing.
    Does anyone else write all this stuff down?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Not a bad idea Matt - I guess you need to review it reasonably often for it to be of value though. Writing things down helps you remember - it certainly can't hurt.

3. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    I did this every day for a few years. Even wrote when I didn't play, nothing like making myself feel guilty. I did find it useful, I would review certain things that I was struggling with. It was good to see progression. I would list each exercise, study or piece etc. and comment on both the good and the bad. Now though I will do it only for things I am struggling with. A particular study, or improvising over changes I don't know or flexibility issues and such like. I find it very useful especially when I record the session as well. It helped me see the tiny improvements I didn't always notice over extended periods of time.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My trumpet journal is called TrumpetMaster

5. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Rowuk, Ifor one am extremely greatfull,

Thanks for all the insight.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    There you go Matt - TM as the journal, and review by your peers. It won't cover everything but an advance on just a private journal - more learning for you. Now, to sort the wheat from the chaff?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    It's a pretty sensible thing to do. Many of us older guys probably wish we had something like that to look at and reminisce and bring up things we might not have remebered otherwise. Go for it I say..