Trumpet Lamps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ogauge47, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I am planning on making a trumpet lamp with a TSO a forum member is sending me. I do not know where to run cords and where to drill holes.
    This is what I thought of:
    [​IMG]

Running the cord up the bell up a little ways, drilling a hole in the bell and the top of the tuning slide and then running it up to the mouthpiece receiver, where the lightbulb socket will be. Is this the best way to do it? Anyone have photos of their own?

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Seems to be the easiest way to me. You might have to put a ripple in the bell edge for the cord so it sits flat and doesn't want to tip over.........Buck:oops:

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Using a small fishing sinker 3/16" dia and a length of fishing line you will be able to get this right through the horn and pull the power lead through with it and not need to drill holes. You will need a larger base or a cheap trumpet stand as it wont be stable on the bell alone.

The instrument I had marked for a lamp I converted to "C" and my friend now uses it in our orchestra, all my other horns are too good for such use.

Have fun with this project.

Regards, Stuart.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Just a suggestion...wouldnt an old junker be more interesting than a shiny instrument, or was your picture just for demonstration purposes? The fishing line suggestion seems ok to me but it might take some patience and slide pulling to get through the valve body but I'm sure it can be done without drilling and jumping from the belltube to the leadpipe. Also the idea about the cheap trumpet stand is a good one, the bell is not wide enough to be stable. How will you attach the light socket and shade? Good luck and post a picture for us when done. Best wishes.

5. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I found a website which shows how to make one, along with some great examples.
    trumpet

[​IMG]

And I found out it is easier to cut a section out of the bell tail and mounting the socket directly over the bell. It is supposed to be more secure and everything lines up.

[​IMG]

6. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    This seems like such a waste. Aren't there starving trumpet students in India that would kill for these horns? Oh wait; they're doing customer service for Microsoft. Never mind. Please continue to illuminate me.

Mark

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Make sure that you have well insulated lamp cord. A trumpet is out of metal. A short circuit could be LETHAL!

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't worry, some Besson brass instruments are now made in the Buffet Crampton Indian factory.

Import into India is a PAIN where the sun doesn't shine !