Trumpet Leaks From Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Jun 29, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some players just exhale more moisture than others. There is no cure to my knowledge. It isn't the mouthpiece.

If marching is so stupid that basic body functions like letting the horn pee isn't possible, then less marching is the answer. The other possibility is an intelligent music director that knows how to build drainage into the show. They just seem to be harder to find.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You can empty it while you are playing .. just give it a tap now and then.
    You know.. it sounds like your horn could be dirty ... so check that.
    make sure you have water key corks that are functioning well
    and here's an odd question ... do you eat close to the time you play... do you chew gum? My unscientifically proven observation is eating increasing spit production.
    and
    the point about tonguing is interesting .... if you are trying to produce a sharp attack with you tongue instead of more air and light tongue you can produce a nice leadpipe full of saliva ..
    that's my take in addition to everyone elses solid advice
    get back to us on this

3. joe1joey

joe1joey Piano User

Jul 3, 2010
    E.Panhandle WV
    I think that coolerdave was right on the money with the hi possibility of a backup due to a very dirty 'mouth pipe/lead pipe' .

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This is not a trumpet issue - it is a marching issue. I suggest you look for a solution from your marching people. As has been pointed out here, condensation builds up in a horn which is why we have water keys.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro