Trumpet Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Sep 15, 2014.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Nothing better than mowing some grass.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This I know a lot about and Gmonady knows I do, and yes, there is money in mowing lawns, and expenses, the latter as can be minimized if using parents' equipment and fuel. However, there is a lot of competition and the season is waning. Next up, clearing snow and abating ice if your clime has much. With my health, I can't and pay another $30.00 per cut and trim as approximately takes an hour with powered equipment, and prices are near triple that and more in metropolitan areas.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    And there are probably MANY here that at one time or other had some experience with grass.....

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Seriously, though.... There is money in lawn service but it is highly dependent on good weather to be able to keep your clients happy. A job indoors in fast food or sales will be steadier and more reliable for income.

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    While you're doing all of those general labor jobs, you could also flip trumpets on the side. Just an idea.

Kujo

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Many times there are scholarships for expensive trips. It would be worth checking into.

I think that we all need to step out of our shell from time to time and take a serious look at what and who we are.

What is really the difference trumpet lessons, tutorage or practice monitoring? Is it REALLY as big a difference as babysitting compared to child care? Is it bigger, smaller? Think about the qualifications. The world would be a better place if most child care practitioners were as qualified as my trumpet teachers were.....

I think that accomplished high school players CAN be a positive influence on younger students - if they have received formal training (REAL lessons)themselves and have some didactic aptitude. If I look at many of the attempts to get free online advice for playing - and the reactions to honest evaluations, perhaps we should not sell the dedicated, responsible high schooler too short......

That being said, I have my doubts that giving lessons would put an appreciable dent in a 5 grand bill. Regular work with a boss and management is a very important lesson. In high school we often think that the world OWES us a great education, that many TEACHERS make life easy by repeating the same stuff year in - year out! Going to work and experiencing the other side gives us some very important insight into the fact that we shape our destiny and if the world OWES us something, that we are VERY dependent on the activities of others.

The true first trumpeter wants to control his own fate. Now go out and do the right thing!

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Two thing spring to mind after reading your las post Rowuk. One is piggybacking on somehting you have been talking about yourself recently about having a life outside of playing being important in avoiding burnout, it may well be a better lesson for ISAT to get out into a different world of working experience.

The other thing is a perhaps a counter intuitive thought. Is a well meaning high school student (who has had proper training as you say) who remebers his hard knocks and has only a few years between him and being an absolute beginner less equipped to than someone who has if not parrotted but used the same methods to teach year in year out? At what point is someome qualified to teach does it take an exam qualification or years of experience. I have perhaps opened a can of worms here but I think as long as the teacher is honest both with themselves and with their student as to what they are capable of then anyone with the right drive can do it. (As long as it is a drive to teach and not just a money making excersise)

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually I was a couple of steps further down. Why shouldn't we allow trumpet sitting? Do babysitters have a worse reputation than child care? Not in their respective categories. Don't I often mention duets with someone better than you? Is a high school student also not capable in theory of establishing a daily routine for younger musicians and offer some practice monitoring? Aren't sports students motivated by others senior to themselves - even in the same school?

Sure, it is not a real teacher, but I think about every second thread here supports the tenor of NOT having real access to someone very qualified. Maybe second or third best still gives a younger musician the chance to get motivated and improve their odds of sticking with it.

The path to 5 grand means that you leave no stone unturned. I too advocate getting a job, not starting a business.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not as many ever pushed a manual reel lawnmower, sprayed the weed killer, and pushed the fertilizer spreader over 1.7 acres and been paid $2.00 / hour for doing so by your own parents. The billing against that same property today is $180.00 per cut, including hedge trimming. Other lawn service is extra and with renters such is plentiful, including re-sodding. Too, there are many more units in my late Father's Rental Realty Trust plus private contracts that employ a year round staff of 16 augmented in summer with 4 temporaries. 3 Dodge Ram Hemi's adapted with snow plows, 8 snow-blowers, 20 Cadet mowers 4 of which are 60" swath, the others 52" and one John Deere with a 48", plus other powered equipment including a Carlton stump grinder, and still Dad's Trust is in competition with others that are bigger and better equipped. Still, we have a lot of work otherwise off-season for our employees and they don't. Our private contracts have the clause "weather permitting" for lawn care. Too, we do property maintenance for others including plumbing, electrical, and HVAC by licensed personnel, and that's called diversification. Still, we don't extend ourselves beyond what we can satisfy.

If you haven't guessed by now, I'm currently the executor of my Father's Trust and a receiver of a one-third share of the proceeds, one third share going to my 86 yo oldest brother, and one third share divided in 5 parts among my late brother's children.

I may now be physically disadvantaged, but not mentally ... yet. When my demise comes, my share will pass directly to our daughter who is now on-going to receive her Master in Business Administration this December from the University of Arkansas, just as my Father's Trust passed to my two brothers and I, legally per stirpes, by-passing my Mother, as it will eventually by-pass my wife.

The OP stated he was 17 yo, well the chain fast food and sales outlets and even the Mom & Pops can't hire them if they've access to the money of others due to Bonding Insurance where the minimum age is 18. And that is just part of the criteria for employment these days, where also there may be background investigations and drug tests also.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

This is incorrect. Most states allow servers to start at 18, even if they serve alcohol.