Trumpet Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Sep 15, 2014.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Odd jobs, a real job, babysitting, garage cleaning, grocery shopping and delivery, dog walking, gigs with your schoolmates, etc. There are many ways to make a $ and an enterprising young person will try them all and more. Make something up and give it a try.
    Bottle returning, paper recycling, car washing and cleaning/detailing, ...

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think it's interesting how many people have completely scoffed at the idea that ISAT can't be a "teacher." While he's probably not the person who you'd want as a chops doc, I don't see how much harm could come from taking a couple of motivated younger students, do basic assessments of what they need to work on, and then prescribing some exercises with some basic do's and don'ts about how to approach them.

When I was at the end of my HS time, I did summer lessons with a kid in middle school. His mom approached me and asked if I'd do it and I agreed. It was a few extra bucks of scratch in my pocket, and I took a kid who was still working out of basic band books, gave him a crack at some real, basic etudes, and did some basic diagnostics and prescriptive exercises to work on fundamental concepts like articulation, sound production, basic lip flexibilities and that kind of thing. More importantly, I MOTIVATED him to work.

By the end of the summer, he was WAY ahead of where he'd been when I first got him, and what did I really do but encourage the kid, give him some challenging stuff to work on, and keep him from some of the more dastardly bad habits such as using too much pressure, puffing the cheeks and pinching in an effort to play higher? I don't think he stuck with it (pretty sure he got involved in sports later) but the last I knew when he was still playing, he was first chair with no one close to knocking him from his perch.

Maybe I'm a bit too cavalier about it because for the most part, I'm a self-taught player, and yet I've managed to do my fair share of gigging, and I still work as a part-time, gigging musician. Broken down, unless a kid has some serious chops issues, what does a teacher really need to do during the formative years other than steer a kid away from bad habits and toward better ones?

And what is trumpet playing really other than functionally combining some basic fundamental skills in an expressive way to make music?

ISAT, I say that if you can take on an aspiring kid or two who is already established and looking to improve, I say to go ahead and share what you know with them. Teach them how to practice and give them some great exercises that are going to push their technique. (Of course you might find the fast food route or lawn service to be more lucrative for your time.)

I once had the opportunity to chat on the phone with the legendary Roy Burns, and the subject of drum lessons came up. He told me, "if you decide to get lessons, don't find a teacher who is going to show you what to play, find a teacher who is going to teach you how to practice!"

Roy Burns (drummer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    My friends and I actually want to try busking in the city! We may do it.

4. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    Yup there are scholarships for the trip, and my parents will be looking into it. But they will still expect me to pitch in some money :/

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I must admit I am questioning my knee jerk first reaction. Lets be honest even the greatest players don't necessarily heve what it takes to teach. It may be that they will only teacht their way without reference to the individual. It may be that they have been so natural they have rarely had issues in playing so they don't know how to fix them. It may as simple as they have been so focused on the Horn that they can't relate to the student.

There is a theory that to teach you must only be one step ahead of your student all the time. That is a bit simplistic in trumpet terms I feel but is does make a point.

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with waiting to teach. While it's not a bad idea to mentor a younger student, at your level it would be better to send them to YOUR teacher first. Get a part time job, but definitely get together with your friends and busk, or do a benefit concert somewhere. If you're busking, make sure you check into whether you'll need a permit - it's required in some cities. Also, make sure you put out a sign to let people know what you're raising money for. People are more likely to support an actual cause, especially an educational one. Talk to people about your goal - be friendly and play well, and you will at least make a small dent in your savings goal. I did the same sort of stuff to make extra money for a trip to Poland when I was a college music student, and it really helped!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Whatever you do, don't do it for free! Busking sounds fun but depending on your location, may be regulated requiring a permit which may cost money. You aren't in the spend it to make it mode on this endeavor. I would find the most bang for the buck job, waiting tables, if you have a servant mentality, can make you good money.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Not only as a waiter but also as a freelance trumpeter. Trumpeters who leave their egos at home are easy to work with, and if there are two trumpeters of equal ability, the one with the servant mentality will get more calls.

9. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    About teaching ? Nobody can teach how to teach, except the pupils, you start it and build your own experience, I'm not very confident when someone says he can teach how to teach.
    Each pupil has got strange questions, questions that you've never asked to yourself.
    If you don't feel like teaching the trumpet, you can teach how to read music, ear training...
    If you want to make money, don't teach !

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have 3 criteria for my teacher selection:

1. Can play well, and has been a National Champion at some stage for 2 or more years (so on the record).
    2. Is presently teaching at some school, or playing professionally
    3. Is better than me , and able to help me through my problems, and tolerant of my poor performance levels

AND we end every session with a short "ear" jam session of some Jazz Standards. End with a smile.