Trumpet Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isuckattrumpet, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I had some teachers like these, not the first one even if he was the greatest for me for many reasons, but the other ones were very gifted and fine.
    Being good doesn't mean you can teach what you know.
    And before taking lessons from the greatest and the more expensive indeed, you need to start with someone cheaper who could give you some skills which could make you interesting for the next teachers.

2. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    There is something I cannot understand, to play you need to pay ? Strange concept, but that seems to be a nice business for the orchestra managers, they make you pay and they get payed by the other parts. If they really need you why should you pay 5000 dollars ?
    Am I wrong ?

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I second that. If they really need you, cry poor and they will likely find a way to subsidize you a bit.

Go ahead and give lessons. Beginners can do well with a HS teacher if they know what they are doing. Kids look up to and are usually inspired by someone closer to their age. If you can hustle up some students that don't want to pay your teacher maybe you could get them to pay you for a 3 a month at a lower rate and you bring them to your lesson a few times and have your teacher teach you how to teach them once in a while.

Maybe this:
    3 lessons a month with you. One of your lessons a month you bring them and teach in front of your teacher for part of your lesson. All the money going to your teacher that time. They pay regular price but only give them 15 minutes for that one.

If you get 5 students you will be able to afford more lessons also. $15 seems a little high though. It depends on the cost of living.

Most teachers don't do way more than you will be able to do. There just aren't that many good trumpet teachers out there per dollar.

I started teaching when I was 15. ($2.50 per half hour) I was much better than several people who were giving lots of lessons in the area. If you are conscientious you won't hurt them at all.

4. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    This is a 2-week long tour to Spain. We will be performing in four different concert halls around Spain. This a youth orchestra, comprised of high school students. Unfortunately they will not pay a bunch of kids to travel across the world and perform. There are many, many youth orchestras that function like this.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Community Orchestra I play in is currently organizing a one week trip to our sister city in China next year, it looks like around 80 people will be going and the cost per person will be around A$2000. The local council has been generous in giving $400 towards the trip, which will almost buy a cup of coffee at the airport while we wait for the plane. We do not have an orchestra manager but a committee of members not paid.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    The only thing I can say to resume this story is : if your parents are not surgeons, lawyers, ministers or rentiers, don't play music.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A friend of mine wrote a thesis for her PhD at ANU regarding the teaching of adult (violin) beginners. She described music teaching systems as belonging to one of two main categories:
    Achievement Model - which has the teacher set a predetermined course of studies
    Recreational Model - which has the student driving the lesson with considerable input from the teacher.

The Achievement Model is much easier to teach, and for the pupil to fail. It merely requires some research by the teacher into appropriate study methods, solos and etudes. It is the model most often taught around the world in Conservatoires and other formal settings.

The Recreational Model requires a deeper understanding of Music and Repertoire by the teacher, and is a much more difficult method to teach. The pupil cannot fail.

For both methods, the role of the teacher is:
    To inspire
    As exemplar
    To provide information as and when required

8. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    It's also set up for people in the typical youth-student stage of life. Music teachers no matter the instrument often say that adults start and stop lessons because "they clearly aren't smart enough to appreciate how much time it takes." I'm a pianist since I was a child and a composer with a pretty decent list of advanced degrees; I definitely understand what it takes to learn anything well. The teachers don't understand that when you are earning every penny you will ever spend on yourself, your work schedule is paramount. One of the biggest problems I ran into when taking viola lessons (since stopped) was that the teacher insisted on weekly lessons because ... well, that's what he did with his six year olds. Every two weeks would have been perfect for me. Weekly was simply impossible. He was completely unwilling to flex. Oddly enough, his motivation seemed to be that he assumed that an adult would be as unmotivated and unwilling to work as a typical toddler, when what I wanted was simply two weekends between lessons and adequate time to go nuts on the thing.

The first model, what you called the Achievement model, takes 100 students in one end of the funnel and ends up spitting two out the other end. Nowhere else would you call a 98% failure rate a success.

I don't know if I would call the other side "Recreational" or not. I'd sooner just call it the "Look, I need to make this fit into my life" model.

9. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Nice comment, if the goal is to be a good instrumentalist who only plays what it's written, the first method is the best, the pupil can be a very good musician or someone who plays like a machine or a computer.
    The second is the best for the pupil who wants to be a musician and himself, playing music with pleasure being aware of how it works (improvisation and creativity), but on the other hand his technique and reading are more limited than the first one.