Trumpet Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Sep 12, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi I was wondering how often should we take a
    trumpet lesson? Should it be every week every two weeks or once a month ? The reason I am asking is I just moved out of state so I had to get a new teacher ....I had played before in my teens for some years, now I am a come
    back player for six years with lessons from a good teacher .Now recently I have found a good teacher and will start soon with them.
    Who sets the criteria do we take lessons as needed? Please let me know Anthony

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Anthony,

I have different criteria for different trumpet/musical needs.

My weekly teacher is a professional teacher, and I met him on my first rehearsal on my Comeback. He is an excellent musician, with a great tone, and can switch between Bb. C and Eb on the run. His tone is great, and I would rarely hear him make a written mistake - He was Australian Soprano Champion for a few years, and he happily swaps trombone, flugel trumpet and cornet. So has similar playing skills to what I want to do well. He teaches at a private College, and was doing private lessons at a Music School - and I initially went there and got charged student rates. I also had very difficult working hours (maybe away from home 1 week to 2 weeks a month) - and they gave me credit for times I was unable to make it - so financially not crippling.

It has become more of a friendly jam, but I go to him when I have an issue, and he will run through it, then give me some exercises to do to help me correct it.

This is the most useful to have someone who knows what they are doing, monitoring you. I sometimes ask him to come and play with me when we have a Public performance and need a strong 1st. He is a gentleman, communicates well, is tolerant, and know what to give me to direct me down the right path. I still have to do the work.

The second teacher I use:
    Greg Spence (MTM) - I will try to get a yearly lesson or 2 with Greg. Last year we were lucky to get him to a Trumpet Hand (Trumpet Muster) and he gave a Master Class.
    The expectations from Greg's lessons are really longer term, as I am working on my upper range. No one better in my part of the woods. No fixed time, but I just keep tabs of his movements, and know when he is available.

I have a third lesson occasionally with other teachers, more for specific needs. There are 2 musicians I use, 1 for Trombone specific, and they have drifted off a bit in the last 6 months, but once every 2 weeks is enough, but a weekly lesson is probably more the requirement, My skills on Trombone are pretty below average for where I want to be, but I play the Trombone regularly with a Big Band, and double with Bass instruments at a Trad Jazz band.

I have done several Berklee modules on line, and found these useful.

The bottom line: You have your own personal goals for the trumpet. A teacher should make that journey quicker, and give you clear directions to take the best path. If you do not find it useful then move on, or challenge the teacher. The teacher may not be aware of your issues, so communicate clearly with him/her about what is causing you problems.

I hope this helps.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes Peter thank you for your reply but I am only able now because of the move to another state limited to once a month because of finances, maybe later on
    every two weeks is it ok to have a lesson once a month someone a while back told me no you need to take lessons every week ". Is that really true?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    No. Weekly is not absolutely necessary.

But as with anything with trumpet, it is up to you to put the work in. A good regular daily routine is essential. If you can tape/video yourself, you can probably self-critique as you go.

Good luck

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    "Who sets the criteria"? ... You do. There's no one-size-fits-all.

Back in junior high, my first trumpet teacher and I met weekly. But in high school and beyond, I had lessons every other week.

Do what works for you, whether it's weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Talk to your new teacher about this, a come up with a plan with him/her.

Mike

6. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you all going to go with lessons once a month and see what developes
    I was once told by one of my trumpet teachers that he saw himself as a coach making you try to do your best. Anyway thanks again Anthony

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The simplest answer, both for lessons and practice, is as often as possible. Yes, lessons are constrained by one's financial budget. I suppose for many, practice is also constrained by time.

Even though I'm qualified to teach trumpet, there's a lot I can still be taught ... if there was an available private teacher/tutor within 25 miles of where I am that could teach me all that I lack musically, which I admit is a tremendous lot, much of which I just plain forgot, I'd be after him or her at least twice weekly. At present, I take piano lessons as often as the teacher is available and this is usurping practice time on my own brass, but already I've found such is replacing some of which I forgot. (Did I ever learn it ???). Oh well, at my age there isn't much time left ... so I just learn what I can ... and enjoy it.

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi Ed. ...oh come now how old are you not much time tsk tsk

9. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    The rule I hold myself to is how long between lessons can I go so that when its time for my next one I've accomplished everything I was given. For me every two weeks works really well, but completely dependent on the individual.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although my age is fairly well known among TM, as I write this I'm 79 and my health is far from optimum.