trumpet maintenance for beginners

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xelaris, Mar 28, 2009.

1. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    I've read some comments from a specialized site where they suggest not to clean the trumpet.
    All I do is oiling the valves every two sessions, wiping out old grease and then re-greasing the slides every week.
    Also, after a session, I take out all the slides and let them dry at room temperature for a few hours...then, I shake all bits to get rid of any remaining condensation.

Am I doing it right?

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    i clean mine anyway. it keeps my old dying aristocrat living for marching season.
    anyway i do something similar to mine, every two weeks i wash out the valve casings, the lead pipe, and slides with water to clear out gunk, old oil and grease. i then dry it out and re-grease nd oil everything.
    you sound like your doing it correct so id stick with the plan, and cleaning your trumpet is very worth while if you havent tried it, it keeps everything running very smoothly nd my horn sounds like a brand new trumpet when i give it a bath, its very spoiled

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    No. Do a search on cleaning/bathing. Add grease if your slides start to move with difficulty. If the horn is new, clean, dry and re-oil the valves every other day for a month, to clean out manufacturing residue and break-in deposits.
    That site you found is nonsense. But you don't have to be obsessive. Blow the condensation out the spit keys, pull the slides, shake 'em out, and blow through the valve with the slide off. Get a leadpipe swab and run it through when you finish playing for the day.
    veery

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I think I know which "specialized" site you have been looking at.

Have a look at this thread, and you will get a lot of inputs.

Good luck!

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/i-just-did-big-self-cleaning-44198.html#post412565

5. xelaris

xelaris New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks a lot for all your comments...(blowing from the valve directly? Never done before).

All in all trumpets are very low maintenance compared to saxophones (I spend a lot of time looking after my Alto) and I feel a bit guilty doing so little for that Cornet.

Yes, a good warm soaking is to be scheduled soon...
    Beside, I've bought that cornet from someone else...imagine all the xxxp deposited from previous owner/s....:think:

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I meant from the mouthpiece end.
    v

7. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    If you don"t already have a snake and brush for the valve casings you will need them to give your horn a bath.A bit of ivory liquid works great.There"s also a product called SPITBALLS which are nothing more than little sponge plugs soaked in a cleaning solution that you blow through the horn with all 3 valves depressed.They work great and just a few bucks.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've written a paper on trumpet maintainance I can send you. Just e mail me and I'll be glad to send it your way.

9. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I know who the "specialized site" is but won't mention anything. They probably do it so they make more money by making you bring the horn to their store more often. I agree with everything that was mentioned about cleaning but I want to add that getting an acid cleaning about every year or so is also a good idea too....

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I just acquired one of the finest cornets ever made by Conn, the 12A. The problem is that it was very badly misused and probably never cleaned. The leadpipe has four holes rotted through and the bell curve is badly dented. Three of the cross brace solder joints are broken loose, but, the slides are all greased and free and the valves are like new. If this model was not such a collectible I would simply keep it as a parts source. My current inclination is to send it to Charlie Melk, Ito, or equivilant for a renovation. What keeps me from that is the big coin that I am sure that this renovation will cost.

All of the above damage was the result of poor care and carelesness. If the leadpipe had been cleaned regularly the only damage would be from dropping the horn. That would make renovation a simple matter of breaking the bell loose and straightening it and resolder back into place.

SCRUB THAT LEADPIPE WITH SOAP AND WATER REGULARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009