trumpet maintenance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bob Grier, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Since "how do I clean my trumpet" seems to come up a lot, I thought I would post this under a new post for everybody. I've written a paper on trumpet maintenance that is very thorough. I'm glad to send it to anyone who is interested. Just contact me through my web site. :D

PakWaan likes this.
  2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Good time of the year for this Bob. Lots of new musicians starting band classes. This would make a good read for trumpet players. ...Your very first homework assignment after buzzing is....

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If someone cleans now, that means that the grunge from last year has been fermenting ALL SUMMER. Put a mousetrap in the case a day before you expect to clean. You never know what may be crawling around............

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And the sad fact is that not a public school I know of sends all their school owned instruments to techs for cleaning and needed repairs. Ugh, what an unhygenic mess such becomes in summer storage and then the same instrument may not be redistributed to the same student as last played it in the spring before. We who are buying used instruments BEWARE!. More often I've gasped when I open a case in in a thrift store. Those I've been re-selling lately have been ultra sonic cleaned by a tech and otherwise repaired. Certainly such costs raise my re-selling price, but would the buyer really want anything less?

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I love it! :lol:. Stand back open with ten foot pole shotgun at the ready! :shock: