Trumpet makes funny noise when I play the top space E

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amr67644, Jan 26, 2014.

1. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    A few weeks ago, my trumpet started making a strange noise anytime I play the E on the top space. My professor and I figured out that there must be something loose that vibrates at that frequency and I've found that if I put horizontal pressure on my first and second valves in the direction of the lead pipe it stops. It's not really practical to do this anytime I have to play an E though.

My question is what might cause this, or if it can be fixed?

Let me know if anybody has ever heard of anything like this happening or experienced it firsthand before.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Could be a loose brace. How about pushing the leadpipe towards the valve block?

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    What kind of horn is it? Also, where in pa are you located? I am near scranton and would be happy to look at your horn and help you solve this issue.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If it's coming from the valve casing, my guess is that it's a spring vibrating at that frequency.

5. amr67644

amr67644 New Friend

Sep 7, 2008
    District of Columbia
    It's a Barrington. And I'm actually not in PA anymore, but I am from Central PA, anyway.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If pushing on the leadpipe does not help as suggested by VB, I would look at the valve guides. The bad news is the lower priced horns skimp on the material quality. The guides are probably a cheap plastic and have started to wear. It is possible the valve spring has moved into some funky place as well.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My advice, is to strip and clean the horn (take the caps,and pistons out/off. Snake the leadpipe and bell, clean all slides. Wash in luke warm water with mild detergent. Wash and let dry.

Take the pistons apart, check the felts, springs and the guides for wear. Check all the braces and also check that the slides are greased and moving OK. Put it back together and check for the vibration. If it is still there, see a Techie.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It's a Barrington Peter ...

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I don't know what a Barrington is? I put a cheap rotary in for a yearly service. Thought twice about it, as the horn was bought for less than $150. The shop had one for sale at $1200. I felt OK about giving it to the tech for the service.

Also, even if my horn was worthless, if I had an issue and could not find the problem, it is off to the Tech before I bin it.

But I understand it must be a student horn. Still I would check it out if it was me.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Peter,
    You can find those Barringtons for $50 at yardsales. The materials are questionable at best. I agree repair is the way to go on even a student instrument if made from quality material. Those valve guides will literaly disolve from light use.
    Hope that didn't come across snippy, if so please accept my apology.