Trumpet manufacturing, tweaking, etc.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, May 25, 2011.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering, how does one go about learning the necessary skills for actually making or modifying trumpets? I've always been interested in tweaking and repairing horns, but I have no idea where to go to learn. I'm not looking into anything like this as a career, but I would be very interested in learning (partially as a hobby) the ins and outs of crafting a beautiful trumpet. Thanks!

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Good question.

You can start by learning the basics of repair, and then just doing it - and realizing that you will totally destroy some horns in your learning process. Maybe you can find work at your local repair shop helping to prep rental horns over the summer, then watch the techs and ask questions.

Remember:
    Everything that you do to a trumpet changes the way that it plays. Different water key corks, braces, pinky hooks, pull knobs. Some changes will even be improvements.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Thanks for the info. The nearest repair shop is around 45 minutes away, and that is a real bummer. But maybe sometime in the future, I could learn from a repair technician. Thanks again!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    To the truly inspired, there are no mountains too high, no seas too wide, no partner bitchy enough to keep us from our goals. There is NOTHING that you can't do now. You just have to want to.

Ask any of the older players if procrastination later turned to frustration (the "Damn, I should have" syndrome!).

Here something else related:

Dates have now been set for the Natural Trumpet making workshops in 2011
    Bloomington, IN, August 1-5, 2011

Workshops

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    That's a good point, and I guess I don't have the means or correct motivation to learn this stuff..... yet. I'd still love to get into it and learn some cool stuff. There's just no way I could make it to that workshop, and learning to make trumpets has to be less important to me than work, school, and practice during that time of year. So I guess I'll put it off. Here's hoping I won't look back and wish I'd gone, but I would like to get the chance to do that sometime in my life. Thanks Rowuk for the words of wisdom. :)

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you can sometimes by "repair" models of various horns off of E-Bay for a few bucks. that might be a place to tinker around. after all if you find a "junk" horn, and then search TM and other places on how to unstick slides, what tools you need, and how to align valves and such --- well you could learn without sacrificing a good horn.
    just my thoughts.