Trumpet Method Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Nov 26, 2004.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Just wondering what your experiences have been, purchasing trumpet studies books that are sold primarily through the internet.

Which books have you bought which have been very helpful?

2. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    The only one I've bought over the internet is Clint 'Pops' McLaughlin's '30 minures a day: how to improve on a limited practice schedule' which is a series of exercises and technique tips which give you a real workout in a short space of time. Only had it a month or so, but my playing does seem to be improving. It was ordered off his website, paid for by PayPal and posted from Texas to the UK, no problems at all.

Rich.

3. fuzzyjon79

fuzzyjon79 New Friend

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Well if by "purchased over the internet" you mean a company.. then I would highly suggest www.rkingmusic.com Everytime I have ordered something from them, it is in my mailbox in about 2-3 business days max.

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I have had the same great experience with Robert King.

However my question is more geared towards teachers like Pops who market themselves more thru the internet than traditional distributors.

5. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    Two others I can think of would be Bill Knevitt and Charles Colin. Colin does have some stuff you can find at many stores but they also have some things you really can't find anywhere. Bill Knevitt's stuff is really good too (IMO), I consistently have a few of his books in my practice routine!!
    Adam Metzler

6. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    Yes I advertise ONLY on the net.
    But:
    There are some colleges that are using my stuff.

My last college convert was Dr. West at LSU a couple of weeks ago.

I LIKE owning my books as opposed to a publisher owning them. I LIKE controlling if, when and HOW they are revised.

Someone wanted to BUY my copyright IF I made certain changes. (I'm too hardheaded for that.)

This is NOT a NEW idea.
    Years ago most music methods were still owned by the authors and they were in charge of distribution. Selling your rights is the new idea.

Carlton MacBeth has still never sold his copyright to The Maggio Method.

FACT:

Paul Anka wrote the theme for the Tonight Show and KEPT the copyright. He got paid $200 in royalties every time the show aired.

Barry Manilow usually sold his rights. He got $500 TOTAL for the "You Deserve a Break Today" of McDonalds and "Like a Good Neighbor State Farm is there" jingles.

The smart thing is always to OWN your work.

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    To Pops:

The reason I ask this question is because I feel that there must certainly be many great players and teachers out there with great ideas,like yourself, who never published ideas because with large corporations for many of the reasons you mentioned.

As one of the responders mentioned, Bill Knevitt, has tons of great practise material.

Through the use of these forums people can be exposed to teachers like Mr. Knevitt and yourself.

I personally can also add Rich Willey to the list of great teachers available mainly on the internet. He has a jazz tutorial"method" that can be used as practise material for a lifetime. The material is more practical than most of the just help books out there because it is written by a guy who plays this music every day and gets to the point. It also costs a fraction of what many books out there cost because he simply emails it to you!

With this question I am hoping to find more gems like yourself, Rich Willey and Mr. Knevitt.

8. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
  9. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
  10. carltonsstudent

carltonsstudent New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I recently made a great find of trumpet instruction books and CDs on the Internet which I followed up on. Most fortunately the author of these books and CDs, a Mr. Clyde E. Hunt, lives in a Washington D.C. suburb near me (about 70 miles from my home), so I took a lesson from him. I found him to be everything he seemed to be in his materials. He is about 70 years old and still playing great. He analyzed my playing and suggested areas I needed improvement on and ways to practice. He has several CDs out and one instruction book called: 'Sail the Seven C's, An Easier Way To Play The Trumpet'. This is his masterpiece. Basically Mr. Hunt says that you should have no limitations. Sail the Seven C's brings together all of the important ideas I have been exposed to personally by Carlton MacBeth, Claude Gordon, and John Clyman and also through the books of Cat Anderson, Allen Vizutti, Arbans, Herbert L. Clarke, and Max Schlossberg. Sail the Seven C's is a collection of exercises that are phased into ranges of the trumpet and the integration of these exercises into progressively wider ranges from double Pedal-C to triple High-C. Mr. Hunt not only tells you how to practice these exercises but also plays them for you.

His other CDs are Hunt Teaches and Plays the Clarke Technical Studies. He explains how to extend each of the studies into range studies that are consistent with his Sail the Seven C's and he plays all of the etudes as written and up an octave.

Another CD is Hunt plays Schlossberg. Mr. Hunt also explains and demonstrates how to extend some of the Schlossberg exercised into range studies. Some of the Schlossberg exercises you may have always wondered how anyone could ever play them. Mr. Hunt shows you how. You can buy this with or without the Scholssberg book, and is an invaluable addition to your library.

Another CD set of two is Hunt Teaches Arban and Hunt Plays Arban. Mr. Hunt plays selected exercises throughout Arbans and all of the 14 Characteristic Studies and about 20 of the duets that you can play along with. Mr. Hunt explains the weaknesses of Arbans including the 2 problems concerning the limited range in Arbans. He suggests and shows how to extend some of the exercises to increase the range covered in each exercise and then also the idea to just play the exercises up a octave.

This is an invaluable source of information to learn to play easier. His Sail the Seven C's integrates all this information together better than anything I have seen so far an understanding of how and what to practice. Mr. Hunt, for example, believes that one should play all over the horn, not just hit the notes. Thus you should be able to play tunes in Pedal-Note range and mid and extreme range as well. When you learn how to play correctly, without force, then this becomes possible.

As Dave Stahl told me: "I always seek to play easily, and when I don't, I get very disturbed with myself."

I think Mr. Hunt can show you the way. Just google search for: Clyde E. Hunt. His site will be quickly located.

He has many other CDs as well. For example the Charlier Etudes and others.