Trumpet method books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Please suggest me some good trumpet method books. I have Arban's and Clarke's so far.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I have heard good things about the Irons. I am currently studying out of Schlossberg (spelling?), and the Brandt etudes in addition to Arban and Clarke.
    Cichowicz (spelling, again..) I have some work given to me from, by my teacher (she was a student of his). All excellent.

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    More than good trumpet method books you need a good plan for what you need to improve and want to achieve. That usually comes from a teacher, who chooses books accordingly.

You can always go on sheetmusicplus.com and take a look at what is popular in the trumpet section.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    You probably don't need anymore trumpet books (technically) but it is good to have a library of good choices. It is not the exercises in these books that is important. It is the approach to performing the exercises and what you are supposed to get out of them and learn from them. I would recommend a trumpet book that would pull together all these exercises into a logical plan and explain them and what you are supposed learn how to do from them.

1. A comprehensive Practice Routine for the Aspiring Brass Player by Don E. Johnson.
    2. Brass Tactics by Chase Sanborn
    3. Daily Fundamentals for the Trumpet by Micheal Sachs.

BrotherBACH

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities
    Charlier Etudes
    Concone Lyrical Studies
    Sasche
    Voxman Duets, get both of them. Mostly so you don't suck when you end up playing them with someone else at a trumpet hang, like I did! LOL!
    Maybe a good scale & scale patterns book. Arban is not so comprehensive with scale exercises, but has 300 pages on turns & grace notes [email protected]

Those plus Arban & Clarke will take you a long ways...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I like the Bosquet Etudes. Nobody seems to talk about them, but I think they are challenging and very beneficial to practice. You can get them by themselves, and I also have a copy of the Saint Jacome that has the Bosquet included.

bigtiny

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    With the right teacher and right learning environment, then and only then would I imagine Arban, Schlossberg and Clarke could easily be part of the discussion.