Trumpet Methods/ pedagogical figures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Calliope, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    The great thing about Smiley's book is the included CD which lets you hear the exercise..Flexus by Frink and O'Neil do this too and Odneal's DVD includes videos of him doing the exercises

Breathiing through the nose is only for the Caruso exercises

2. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    There is an even better thing about the recordings of the exercises. They are not simply recordings done perfectley by pros to demonstrate it-they are done by Jeff Smiley's actual students ranging in age from 12-15. IMO this is a concept way ahead of its time. It shows you how actual kids with different lip structures, ages, etc...dealt with the excercises.

Chris

3. btomcik

btomcik New Friend

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm familiar with Schlossberg's Daily Drills and Technical Studies.

When I started taking trumpet lessons years ago in grade school, I was using Arban's. When I got to high school and had a new teacher, he added Schlossberg's method to supplement some of the characteristic studies, songs and fantasie pieces in Arban's. I'm a big fan of Arban's but I think I have to say that my favorite method is Schlossberg's.

Remember, this is all my opinion:

Schlossberg's method can be summarized as "embouchure strength and embouchure control." As some players might know, strong and controllable embouchures lead to ease in playing, high flexibility and higher range. At least that's been my experience.

The book starts with long tones to help develop the embouchure, then progresses into slow flexibility studies. Talk about burning corners.

The next section is about intervals and octave studies - once again it's about control and the flexibility and strength to play these intervals without embouchure changes. Then the book gets back to the flexibility topic with "Lip Drills." This is where you hone your flexibility and learn to shake like crazy. Speed is the goal here.

After that, the book progresses into Arban-like things such as chords, major arpeggios, major scales and chromatic scales. These exercies also can be done using double and triple tonguing, so there is opportunity for those skills to be learned and developed.

The last section contains something along the lines of a couple dozen short etudes which require the use of all the skills learned in the book. They are mainly much shorter versions of the Arban characteristic studies.

Schlossberg's method is not an Arban's method in the sense that it's an all-encompassing book about every skill for the trumpet. There are no pages on minor scales, ornaments (trills, turns, etc), minor and dominant arpeggios, etc. I think it lays a foundation so if you want to learn about these items elsewhere and play these types of things you can do so.

Honestly, if I were a trumpet teacher, I'd start the student with Schlossberg and use Arban's only as a supplement for songs, duets and some of the more obscure items if I needed to use them.

4. cfmiles

cfmiles New Friend

Feb 19, 2005
    Mississippi
    trumpet methods

Hey Calliope,

I've got a 64 page paper on the different methods. It pretty much goes though each one and explains it and in some places it gives examples. Just send me your email ifyou want it.

Charlie