Trumpet Minus One

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by giannelli, Mar 25, 2009.

1. giannelli

giannelli New Friend

Mar 25, 2009
    Greetings,

I am looking for practice accompaniment for some standard trumpet tunes. Mainly the Haydn and Hummel concertos. I looked at the music minus one site, and did not have much luck. If anyone can direct me to some good recordings to practice with, that would be great.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Take a look around this site - Trumpet & Midi

They have some Midis to practice with but not exactly what you're looking for...

3. minus1

minus1 New Friend

Mar 12, 2009
    Albany, Ga
    SmartMusic seems to be the way to go. Smartmusic.com is where to check them out. Yamaha bought the Vivace Intelligent Accompanist from the Coda company that also makes Finale. They have most of the standard trumpet literature and it is only $30 for a year subscription. You need to have a microphone and there are other goodies you can add on as well. I'll let you go and it out and see if this what you were looking for. Hope this helps!

4. Georg57

Georg57 New Friend

Aug 16, 2011
    Russia
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I picked up a couple of music-minus-one things for trumpet and was pretty disappointed. My biggest complaint was tempo - while I think that it's great to have ebb and flow in a piece of music, when a person is trying to play to a recording and they can't see the conductor to know what's coming, it makes it pretty difficult to keep things tight with the recording.

Just look online for music-minus-one stuff - there is plenty of it out there for most of the well known trumpet works.

6. Georg57

Georg57 New Friend

Aug 16, 2011
    Russia
    The pace logical.Tempo logical.Tempo as the original.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    With Music Minus One or the like, you learn to FOLLOW, not lead. If you are only playing along for fun, I guess that is not too big of a problem. It is a desaster if you want to really solo.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm talking about stuff like the Vivalid concerto for two trumpets where there is such sudden variance in tempos that you can't follow, which is kind of beside the point since for the style it shouldn't move that much anyway. The version I have is terrible - unusable for a real performance. Seriously, why didn't they at least try to use a metronome with it?