Trumpet Mishaps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bluegill, May 6, 2007.

1. bluegill

bluegill New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just curious about mishaps that people might have had with their trumpets. I've had my fair share, and I've only been playing for 7 years. I'll start with a story...

I had put my trumpet on my lap and was looking through my music when I felt my trumpet begin to slip. Now this has happened before, and I always managed to catch it, but this time no dice. It landed right on the mouthpiece jamming it an extra half centimeter into the trumpet. 20 minutes and two mouthpiece pullers later I was finally able to get the thing out, but it took a bit of effort. Luckily neither the trumpet nor the mouthpiece was damaged, and I only have a small line on my mouthpiece to show for it.

I know everyone has had something like this happen to them. Let's hear the stories!

-Keith

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Well, I've seen my share of battle-worn horns, to be sure.

One particular occasion: I was lead soprano in a drum corps during my youth. We used rotary-valve bugles... should give you drum corps officianados some idea about the time pereiod. Anyway, one of our tunes was Star, by Earth Wind and Fire. I had a solo in it. I was incredibly pumped at the end of the drum feature preceeding it. So pumped that, on the last move (we were to pout our horns down at our side), I snapped the dickens out of the move.

Well, the horn just kept going. Right out of my hand, until I heard the sound of smash on the ground. I looked down, and there lie my soprano bugle, in pieces, (the rotor valve slides came unsoldered) and Star was being counted off by the drum major. Luckily, the kid next to me reached over and handed me his. He picked it up and "faked" the rest of the show on it.

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I had a similar thing happen in high school. I was going from the band room to the concert hall (read: cafeteria, they didn't build a decent hall until years after I graduated) and I was carrying my horn, a trumpet stand, music and mutes and when someone called my name, I turned around, everything slipped out of my hands and my horn landed straight on the mouthpiece. I caught it on the bounce (never something you want to think about your horn!) but the damage was done! I had a Curry(?) MegaSleeve on my mouthpiece, the mpc was jammed so far in that the sleeve was directly up against the reciever. Not only that...the leadpipe was shifted about an eigth of a inch do toward the bell and the second valve was frozen solid. Anyway, it got repaired and still worked and played just fine. I eventually had that horn converted to an Eb but it's been retired since for a few years since I got an actual Eb!

The only other "mishaps" I've had have been when I've loaned horns or mouthpieces to friends. They come back damaged EVERY TIME!

Jason.

4. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    At a marching competition in high school, my leadpipe fell out about one min into the show...(luckily there were no solos in the show)...I happened to march right over it on the march off and no one had stepped on it! I dropped that same trumpet and the solder came off both braces and valve casing brace on the leadpipe so I had to ducktape it back together. The next practice someone stepped on the bell and completley flattened it. Sort of an unlucky trumpet.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I was playing in a church orchestra. I had trumpet stands for all my horns. The other player had a brand new horn his wife let him buy. He was an accountant who studied trumpet in college. He played a bach 5B with great tone and I think he had a brand new Yamaha. He could not afford, and seemed to dispise, the concept of a trumpet stand. We stood to do some sort of confession or response so he placed his horn on the chair behind him. When we were finished with the dialog he sat down.......

6. DL TPT

DL TPT New Friend

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Late one evening I was practicing in the band room for an upcoming solo Christmas performance. Because of a lack of live musicians I was forced to play with accompaniment tracks. For the gig I was playing both Bb and C trumpets. I laid my C trumpet on top of one of the tower speakers and proceeded to practice. I didn't realize that the vibrations in the speaker was slowly causing my C trumpet to slide off the speaker. I turned around just in time to see the C trumpet (with no mouthpiece in it) fall from the speakers and land on the bow of the bell. Thankfully the carpet cushioned the fall, and only a small dent in the bell occurred. I no longer lay my horns on the speakers when practicing.

Dan

7. mbtpter227

mbtpter227 New Friend

Feb 3, 2007
    So-Cal
    Oh man. This memory makes me shudder every single time.

Freshman year, our marching band travelled to Las Vegas to compete. After our performance, we went to sit in the stands, instruments, uniforms, shakos and all. Needless to say I sat next to a clarinet player (worst mistake of my life :p), and he knocked my trumpet straight out of my hands and straight down about 15/20 feet off of the bleachers. Luckily the trumpet landed on the bottom of the valve casings, and my trumpet survived with only a few stratches and a tiny dent at the crook of the bell pipe..

Phew whenever I recollect this memory all I remember is time going extremely slow as my trumpet plummets from the stands..

8. Kent

Kent New Friend

Apr 25, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I had just started playing again after decades of inactivity. My friend, a Yamaha brass tech, had found a good used student horn for me at a good price. I played it for a few weeks and took it to his shop just to get new corks put on the spit valves. That took 10 seconds and we then got to talking while I put the horn back into it's case, which was on a service counter. We got to talking and he was describing in great detail how Yamaha's don't require glue for the corks; how lucky it was to find a used horn in such great shape; how it had no dings even! etc, etc ...

We finished yakking and I grabbed the handle of the case and turned to go and flung the horn about across the room, the mouthpiece through the door. My stomach and the horn both hit the floor simultaneously. As it turned out, and because I proved to so entertaining, my friend deemed it a shop accident and repaired the bell for me at no cost. I was lucky that the bell was the only real damage. Oh, and the corks stayed on, even without glue.

The amazing thing is that six months later he gifted me his old orchestra horn, a 1975ish Schilke B5. I drop this one, I take up a new identity!

9. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi All,

Having learned the hard way from a Flying Officer Brady that one's instrument is in one's hand or in the case (think of the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket), the sax player at a gig bent over to admire my flugelhorn in its open case. Yep, in his semi-inebriated state his tenor saxophone slipped off the harness and crunched my bell. So like my wife says, don't forget to put the lid down!

Cheers,

Brian

10. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    well let's see... theres the time that i opened my locker and the gig bag fell out and the repairs on the bell was about $100. Now unless I need three horns, I use a hard case (and am looking at a Brass bag with the boards to take having to use it even for that)

pep band and a tanked fan fell on it sitting on a stand while waiting play again (the athletic department footed the bill for that)

Has anyone done the move of put the trumpet case on top of the car open the door and...? I haven't but know 3 people that have.