Trumpet Mold?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChica, Feb 25, 2011.

1. TrumpetChica

TrumpetChica New Friend

Jan 30, 2011
    summersville,wv
    :dontknow:Today during band pratice I sat my trumpet up on my lap and all of a

sudden a bunch of liqid came out of the horn. That's usually no big deal but

when I looked at the liqid on my shirt it was green with black spots.I showed my

fellow trumpet and they said my trumpet might have mold in it. So my question is this:

How can I get rid of mold in a trumpet and how can I prevent it from happening

again?:dontknow:

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    If it it is black then I would recommend getting it chemical cleaned. Also don't eat before you play trumpet. Sometimes I brush my teeth before I practice.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As published in the September 2010 Journal of Chest (Published by American Thoracic Society), a monthly cleaning followed by a 97% isopropyl alcohol rinse was very effective in controlling the mold and eliminates completely symptoms of hypersensitivity pneumonitis in players that are sensitive to this disorder - which basically presents as symptoms of a chronic irritating cough often time misdiagnosed as resistant asthma - which is NOT the same condition.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Take it to a repair shop and get it cleaned. You shouild be doing this every 6 months if you aren't cleaning it on your own.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Clean it with warm water and run a snake through it. The more you play it, the faster it will get "nasty". I would also advise you get a lead pipe swab and run it through the lead pipe AND tuning slide after you finish playing (takes 2 minutes max.). EVERYTIME!! This will get rid of excessive moisture so the "greenies" got nowhere to live! ;-)

6. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    This is right on! If you are playing the horn every day clean it at least once every 3 - 4 weeks. There are several threads here that both explain and demonstrate the process if you haven't been doing it yourself. The best advice I ever had was "Don't eat popcorn and then play your instrument"- Jr High band instructor. Heeding his advice and doing regular cleanings, I've never had green gunk flow from my horn:-).

7. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I like what tobylou8 and mineo50 recommend (thanks). It's easy to brush out the mouthpiece after playing and run a swab through the leadpipe at least once a month. Also, I might add, be sure to oil the valves frequently. I believe that if one waits until they stick major problems are potentially around the corner. Saliva leaves a biofilm on these delicate moving parts that dries with mineral deposition in the valve casings/ valves that decrease performance-personal experience (!).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again, I agree with every post referenced above. BUT IF you want to TOTALLY keep the mold growth in check (this thread is more than just keeping the horn clean - its about controlling mold), then a final rinse with 97% isopropyl alcohol IS CLINICALLY PROVEN to achieve this task AND simply rinsing with water WILL NOT accomplish this goal.

I stand by the evidence published in the peer review journal Chest for the basis of this recommendation. Their evidence is that with a water rinse only, the mold will return in full force.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I use a home made leap pipe swab [fishing weight, fish line and a piece of flannel from an old shirt] that I run through my lead pipe at least once a week. I also snake out my horn and valve ports with anti-bacterial Dawn around once a month and don't have the "greenies" like I did in jr. high and high school. It also prolongs the life of your horn.

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    That's a lot of alcohol, unless you are simply recommending to fill the lead pipe and then Rogers the horn around to get the alcohol completely through the horn.