Trumpet Mold?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChica, Feb 25, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The article only mentions a rinse. It does not require vats of isopropyl alcohol. I would guess a bottle may last 2-3 cleanings. Actually the instrument studied after cleaning was a trombone, which I imagine would have required a bit more volume of alcohol.

Additionally, I got the strength wrong. The alcohol content was 91% (not 97%).

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    In all microbiology labs it's required to clean all equipment and the scientists hands with an alcohol solution of at least 80% alcohol. As long as long as all the mold / micro-organisms are exposed to it, it doesn't really matter how high the percentage is, as long as it's above 80%.

Alcohol is able to completely destroy pretty much any kind of micro-organism, and can be used a few times after eachother without any negative consequences. You can for example take 100ml of solution, poor it through the leadpipe, and catch it on the other end, and poor it in again, and again. then move to the next part of the horn. Once you're done with the entire horn I do suggest getting rid of the used alcohol.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I would agree that the technique as detailed by The Dutch Guy, should do quit well as an appropriate rinse technique.

4. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Wouldn't it be easier to just do a practice session while swilling a pint of ever-clear? Just sayin'......

Mark

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is what I found regarding Everclear:

Everclear is comprised of 95.6 percent ethanol and 4.4 percent water. So this is not isopropyl alcohol, and therefore has not been tested in controlling mold growth. For this reason, Eveclear cannot be recommended as a rinse substitute for the trumpet in controlling mold at this time.

Also, due to Everclear's high alcohol content, Everclear is illegal, unavailable, or difficult to find in many areas. In Canada [wouldn't cha know, Eh?] Everclear is sold only in Alberta, which explains the high rate of dementia in that province. It is available for purchase with a permit for medical use in British Columbia (with prescriptions issued only by demented physicians). It is also illegal to sell the 190-proof Everclear in most states within the USA.

Everclear is legal in the state of West Virginia, which now explains to me the high prevalence of West Virginia Encephalopathy which we are increasingly seeing in the state of Ohio, which state line the West Virginian's with this disorder stumble across when they cannot find their way back home.

It is also found in some military stores within the continental United States [that explains a lot as well]. Can we export this stuff to the Libyan military?

However, with this said, if you can get to a state or province that sells this or obtain a prescription from your physician (please do not request this from the physician writing this reply), than it will be likely that you will not care about the mold, as you will not remember why you were drinking the Everclear in the first place [secondary to dementia].

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks for the tips gmonady!

7. etc-etc

etc-etc New Friend

Apr 29, 2009
  8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I would think that rinsing your mouth with Listerine would be as effective as alcohol, but admittedly not as much fun. The molds that grow inside the horn create the acids that leach zinc out of the brass. That is why the leadpipe is so susceptible to red rot. I would have posted this sooner but it's hard to type and retch at the same time.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Most of the hits from the link you provided describe alcohol use on dry grains. We are talking about a metal surface, constantly under the presence of moisture. Read the following, also from the link you provided:

Alcohols
    Alcohols, usually ethanol or isopropanol are sometimes used as a disinfectant, but more often as an antiseptic (the distinction being that alcohol tends to be used on living tissue rather than nonliving surfaces).

Key here: alcohol tends to be used on living tissue rather than nonliving surfaces.

Read on:

They are non-corrosive, but can be a fire hazard. They also have limited residual activity due to evaporation, which results in brief contact times unless the surface is submerged, and have a limited activity in the presence of organic material. Alcohols are most effective when combined with purified water to facilitate diffusion through the cell membrane; 100% alcohol typically denatures only external membrane proteins. A mixture of 70% ethanol or isopropanol diluted in water is effective against a wide spectrum of bacteria, though higher concentrations are often needed to disinfect wet surfaces.

The efficacy of alcohol is enhanced when in solution with the wetting agent dodecanoic acid (coconut soap). The synergistic effect of 29.4% ethanol with dodecanoic acid is effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria, fungi, and viruses.

Key here: Ethanol is best used with an additive, coconut soap.

With 91% isopropyl alcohol, the 9% that remains as water content, is effective in controlling mold as reported in the 2010 September issue of Chest. Until a study is reported (not found in the link above) that demonstrates ethanol alone or at higher concentrations (70-80%) is effective ON NON-LIVING surfaces, I can still only recommend the use of 91% isopropyl alcohol.

However if there are any budding [maybe some pun intended] scientists that have access to brass musicians with chronic cough [hint: The Dutch Guy], this is your chance to have a publication on whether ethanol (with at least 10% water) and no other additives can control the clinical response to mold growing in brass tubing.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vern,

You are so welcome.

I am a doctor first (the German for doctor is teacher) and a physician second. It is my pleasure to be able to teach, as with teaching there is learning. I have learned so much in my past 2 months after discovering Trumpet Master that I only hope I can repay the site by actively contributing... and do so with accuracy and certainty.