Trumpet Mold?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChica, Feb 25, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just say no to the Listerine theory. Read the abstract I obtained from PubMed:

Caries Res. 2002 Mar-Apr;36(2):93-100.
    An in vitro oral biofilm model for comparing the efficacy of antimicrobial mouthrinses.

Shapiro S, Giertsen E, Guggenheim B.
    Institute for Oral Microbiology and General Immunology, Center for Dentistry, Oral Medicine, and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Zürich, Switzerland.
    Abstract

The ability of commercial mouthrinses to reduce total viable counts of mixed microbial populations was examined using a previously developed in vitro model of supragingival plaque. Exploratory experiments aimed at fine-tuning the model indicated that optimal correspondence between in vitro and clinical results for chlorhexidine-containing formulations were obtained at a saliva:medium ratio of 70:30 (v/v); moreover, expanding the microbial population from 5 bacterial species to 5 bacterial species + Candida albicans had no noticeable impact on overall results. The efficacies of 12 different mouthrinse proprietary products containing chlorhexidine, hexetidine, octenidine, Triclosan, plant extracts, or aminefluoride/stannous fluoride vis-à-vis biofilm clearance were compared. All mouthrinses promoted a statistically significant reduction in microbial load compared to distilled water. The herbal- and phenolic-based products were substantially less effective than most chlorhexidine-containing mouthrinses, or mouthrinses containing hexetidine or octenidine. No significant difference between the plaque-clearing plaque-clearing abilities of Listerine and Meridol was observed.

Once again, I can only recommend CLINICALLY proven 91% isopropyl alcohol.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    Possibly, but not likely:lol:
    I'm still studying, so really don't have time for a trial like that for at least a few years. Even then, it's something more suited for the (micro)biology department. At our faculty we only do research on subjects direcly related to human health.

The outcome is something I'm interested in however, so who knows...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Did any of the spots move by themselves???????????????

Seriously, you need to learn how to clean your horn. You may even play better once the inside of the tubing is no longer "padded".

If you clean reasonably often, you probably do not need to "disinfect". Whoever has allergic reactions, should not guess why.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    There is very little effort necessary to prevent organisms from growing inside a brass tube. Both copper and zinc (especially zinc) have bacteriostatic properties. Cleaning the horn once a week is more than often enough to prevent any growth. Just rinsing the slides with water will leave them quite clean. A bath in sopay water every other month with a snake brush will have it like new. Brass instruments care is limited and easy, it's tempting to reduce it to no care at all.

5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Don't rinse your mouth with isopropyl alcohol! It won't hurt you if you rinse your lead pipe with it as long as you rinse it all out. But that stuff will kill you!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The September 2010 Chest article N-of-1 Trial is irrefutable. If you have hypersensitivity pneumonitis (allergic trigger to chronic cough) this BEST clinical evidence (and only to date reported) clearly illustrates the need to rinse monthly with 91% isopropyl alcohol. When washing in this way is missed, the pneumonitis returns.

To make this point quit clear, do all of us need to rinse tubing on a monthly basis - No. So I agree that if you clean reasonably often, you probably do not need to "disinfect".

But if the brass musician has a chronic cough associated with continual playing, it is well demonstrated that this is caused by a hypersensitivity reaction (allergic reaction) and ONLY 91% isopropyl alcohol has been proven to resolve this disease process.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please read the posts preceding this thread. I agree you CANNOT rinse you mouth with 91% isopropyl alcohol. This rinse is intended for the horn in the final cleaning stages. This was clarified by The Dutch Guy as well, that any use of alcohol is applied in the final rinse of the tubing.

The confusion was added to this discussion when posts regarding alcoholic beverages (Everclear) and mouth washes into the discussion. There is no need to treat orally (alcoholic drinks/mouth washes) to keep the hypersensitivity disease (allergic reaction) under control, as long as the tubing is directly treated (DO NOT TAKE ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL BY MOUTH).

Taking isopropyl alcohol by mouth has been reported to cause life threatening metabolic acidosis.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The comment that both copper and zinc (especially zinc) have bacteriostatic properties is not true for materials exposed to chronic humid environments. The September 2010 Chest article with their N-of-1 Study definitively and definitively disproves this situation as it applies to brass tubing, as it is conclusively linked to cases of hypersensitivity pneumonitis.

However, for the 99% of us trumpet players that do not have a chronic cough associated with our playing the horn, I agree to the above comment that "A bath in soapy water every other month with a snake brush will have it like new," however, this bath will NOT "prevent organisms from growing inside a brass tube".

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check out the Chest article, the conditions in this article are directly to human health in an N-of-1 study, the highest of validity studies that can be conducted.

I mentor several students as a research advisor at my medical school where I server as a professor of internal medicine and pediatrics. If your medical school has a mentorship program, do take advantage of this and conduct blinded randomized trials of your hypothesis of using alcohol. It would be a neat study. AND it would be my honor to help mentor you in some capacity as a physician advisor on this side of the pond.

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    You quoted me first! It was already established that we should clean the lead pipe once in a while. I was talking about rinsing your mouth.