Trumpet: most difficult wind instrument to master?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, May 9, 2011.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Is it in my head, or does the trumpet have fewer individuals who even approach sounding like a professional musician compared to other instruments, excluding strings and maybe piano? Like, in college, even the french horn players usually sound great, but it seems like trumpeters.... most can't even produce a good brilliant resonating sound. They seem to not be as competetant when it comes to musicality, too, and just have problems playing loud enough, and, if they play with enough power, they are lacking in finesse and precision, even doctoral students.

It's just me, right? It's just because I pay more attention to the details of how trumpet players play; or maybe the trumpet is one of the most difficult to master....

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope the oboe is MUCH tougher, a cornetto is tougher, the natural trumpet is tougher, french horn is tougher. Been there, done that.

Tuba and baritone horn are easier (for me anyway!). Trombone is about the same.

Volume is usually the first thing that develops, then sound. Unfortunately, rhythm and common sense often come in last.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    The college level oboists I've heard sound pretty darn good, though, and it's more than or two. I'll agree oboe is far more difficult to learn than trumpet, but as far as sounding like a pro...?

I admit it just might be a coincidence that the horns sound great around where I'm at since there is a renowned horn teacher at my college, and we even attract Eastman graduates...

4. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Oboe only sounds good or bad. It really not that important though as to play any instrument at its highest level requires thousands of hours of dedication.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    being that this is a trumpet forum ..absolutely ... do you find oboeist in the band room trying to see who can play higher??? or youtube clips of oboist playing a double C ?? I think not..
    seriously..how about it's not about who's has the hardest instrument to sound pro ..it's not easy though
    but man is it a hoot... what a rush..nothing like it

6. LEBOUTILLIER

LEBOUTILLIER New Friend

Apr 1, 2011
    Iowa
    IMHO, saxophone is the easiest horn to play, and one of the hardest to play great. Trumpet, on the other hand, has so much nuance to the sound that alot of players have some things that they excel at and others they struggle with. I am sure that is the case with most wind instruments. I think that when you hear a trumpet sound that is not to your taste, it is simply that. Also, there are so many different great trumpet players to emulate the sound of, when trying to get a well-rounded sound we fall short until we decide what we want to sound like.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I believe that the trumpet is "harder to play, but easier to sound good", if that makes any sense. The woodwinds are generally easier to pick up and squawk out a tune, but are difficult to refine. Where as the trumpet is difficult to pick up and play but just sounds better, which is why they get chosen for the slow ballads over the other horns.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Been there, done that too, a trumpet with valves is hard enough!

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Years ago the Guinness Book Of Records put the French Horn and Oboe down as the most difficult. The one French Horn player I know well is pretty good, and he's also one smart cookie to boot - maybe goes with the territory.

--bumblebee

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm the best trumpet player in the world, ROFL - but I have no interest in the oboe