Trumpet: most difficult wind instrument to master?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, May 9, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any of you that have studied music know which instrumentalists spent the most time in the shed - and it for the most part was not the trumpet players. If I think back to my education, the jazz wind players with the most time were the saxophones and SECOND trumpet players. Scales, intervals, patterns.
    The classical musicians were lead by the clarinets and flutes in practice time. The trumpeters were way down in hours compared to them. In many cases the trumpeters were gigging more which in my book is different than playing exercizes to "master" the instrument.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    eh .. I knew that Doc :)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The school of Hard Knocks IS fun; the tuition is free (heck I'm even making money at it); and have the best teacher around. And the best yet: No written exam; performance only.

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    For the most part I have to agree with you Rowuk. Although I remember in the Military school of music I averaged 75 to 80 hours of practice time, (every 7 days) above and beyond "School". There weren't very many people ahead of me in logged Shed time. I was young then and had a HOT fire in my belly to be the best trumpet player in the school.... Those were the days !! :play:

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Did you succeed in your goal as being the best in school or fade out with exhaustion? When did you sleep?

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Ed Lee,

I ended up playing lead in the school big band that was an audition type chair. It was at the School of music for the military, so all the branches of the service went thru the 6 month school, except the Air Force, they had their own school. Lots of musicians..... Sleep ? Who needed that, I was in my late teens then, you could go forever right !! I averaged 8 to 10 hours a day practice and I could get about half of that in during the day, and finish up in the evening. Weekends was pretty much dark to dark with breaks for lunch and dinner, that is until I met this cute little Army flute player ;-), luckly that was in my last month of school !

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Are you referring to the DOD School of Music at Chesapeake (Langley) VA? While in USAF, I did audition for the "Best in Blue" show (supposedly non pro) while stationed at Yakota AFB Japan. I made it for the Far East, but came down with the (Victorian???) flu when the competition for the Pacific was held in Hawaii and withdrew. USAF Docs even took me off flight status for 8 weeks. Bummer! Tough gig on a Special Services borrowed trumpet to play one of my favorites, "Entry of the Gladiators" by Julius Fucik (Entry of the Clowns at RB&B&B circus). Half my gig was my appearance as a clown in tux with tails that was was miles too big and a top hat where the rabbit kept peepin' out the top. That outfit disappeared along with 2 civvy suits in shipping my personal effects back to the States except for the clown shoes I had custom made (as I remember packing when we moved here, but what box they are in is still an unanswered question).

8. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Ed Lee, It could be ! The school I am referring to is the Armed Forces School of Music at the Little Creek Navel Amphibous Base in Little Creek Va.
    United States Armed Forces School of Music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As far as I know it is still at the same base. The school is huge, with the ground floor all individual practice rooms, (over 200 practice rooms), next floor is all band rehearsal rooms and the top floor is class rooms. Dorms are in the same area with 8 hotel type buildings, 4 for men 4 for women. These buildings house all the students from all the branches of the services that use the school.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Same church, wrong pew as means only same geographic area, and the nearest I've been is somewhere close by that I wont talk about. I did hear one other grad say it might have been easier for him to have studied astrophysics, and he played the reeds. His first tour was Army and then he re-enlisted in Air force, and now retired he is a great tech on reeds but don't take my word for it ... ask around the DC area pro orchestras, military bands, and school bands. All I know him from is his work on my daughter's instruments and his community involvement. Yes, he's also done some minor brass work on student instruments I've flipped.