trumpet mouthpiece on fluglehorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Mar 15, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I was wondering if I could use my Bach 3C trumpet mouthpiece on a fluglehorn that I'm thinking of buying. The reason I'm asking is because I don't think my lips could adjust to going back and forth on two different size mouthpieces.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    A trumpet mouthpiece will not fit into the receiver on a flugel
    and will not give you a flugel sound.
    If you want to play the flugel, you will need a proper flugel mp.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It will be difficult, if not impossible, to tune with a trumpet mouthpiece, also. Playing different types of instruments will generally require different mouthpieces to do it right. If you can't make the switch between different mouthpieces, you may not be ready for a flugelhorn. I suppose you could buy a 3C cornet mouthpiece and a cornet/flugel adapter...that would feel close to your current mouthpiece and lessen the tuning problems. Your flugel still won't sound like it should, though.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with the previous posters. If you want a flugel sound, a flugel mpc is mandatory. Even then you will have to practice the flugel so when you play it, you play it like a flugel and not a trumpet. As far as a mpc is concerned, you should be able to get a similar rim size if that is what you want. I went a different route with my flugel and got a much bigger mpc than my trumpet mpc. I am very pleased with the results as the sound is dark and rich. My range is good up to high C which is fine for me. I don't think flugels sound very good in the upper register, Hope this helps.

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Yep. I would definitely recommend getting a flugelhorn mouthpiece.

First of all, the flugelhorn plays much different than the trumpet, so you don't really need a trumpet-like mouthpiece. Second, you can get flugelhorn mouthpieces with a similar rim size to your 3C.

So if you can, try out some different (flugelhorn) mouthpieces on your new flugel: find what one you like the best, and buy it! It will work to your advantage!

Good luck,
    Kujo

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    A Bach 3 flugelhorn moutnpiece has the same rim diameter/profile as your trumpet mouthpiece. Bach flugelhorn mouthpieces come in various depths from the deep 3 to the extra shallow 3F. Anything except the 3C is special order so they are usually not in stock at your local shop. Now, on to issue number 2! flugelhorn mouthpieces come in different diameters and they're not necessarily interchangeable. These are the French (or straight) taper, the Bach (or small) taper and the Standard (or large) taper--try to use the wrong one and you're going to end up with poor results, even if you can get the mouthpiece into the receiver. This link will explain more about taper: Mouthpiece Express.com

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    However, I would humbly suggest that you take a look at other mouthpiece manufacturers. I iknow nobody who plays Bach flugel pieces - I personally loathe and detest them. I have never liked the sound you get from them.

Curry's are excellent and match up to Bach rims very well.
    Dennis Wick, Schilke, aReeves and Marcinkiewicz are all excellent choices as well; you can find those and many others at Mouthpiece Express: Flugelhorn : Mouthpiece Express

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    For what it's worth, I use a Stork.

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me . It's greatly appreciated.

10. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    You will absolutely have to use a flugel mouthpiece.
    The Bach 3cFL is really dark and pretty.
    Giardinelli 5 is quite Clark Terry - like.

It depends on what you're looking for.