trumpet mouthpiece on fluglehorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Mar 15, 2011.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I have a Bach Strad trumpet, and a Courtois 154R flugel and I can use my bach 3c trumpet mp in both. Granted, the sound on the flugel is much warmer with the flugel mp, but my bach 3c has gotten me out of a couple of pinches while playing at church with worn out chops. It gives me a little more stamina and range (if needed). Still, all things considered, you would be better served with a flugel mp. Hope this helps.

2. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    If you really only want to use 1 mouthpiece, consider getting a shallow flugelmouthpiece (that's still deep compared to trumpet mpc's), and use a flugelmpc-to-trumpet adapter. That way you can use the same mouthpiece in both instruments. Just make sure you get one that you can play on decently.

If that's not what you want, check the model of your current mouthpiece (trumpet) and go see if the manufacturer makes a flugel mpc with the same rim. If not, some companies can make custom mouthpieces based on samples you send in. So a flugel mouthpiece with an exact copy of the rim of your trumpet mouthpiece is possible.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Songbook,
    your lips can adjust. Forget the trumpet mouthpiece.

It would interest me why you think that you are going to have problems? Real trumpet players NEVER start with question marks. More typical would be to ask how many mouthpieces one needs to get the most out of the flugelhorn.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, now you know at least one person. :-) I use a Bach 3C on the trumpet and a Bach 3CFL on the flugel. It works great for me.

And although YMMV, for someone starting out on the flugelhorn who already uses a Bach mouthpiece on the trumpet, a Bach flugelhorn mouthpiece would seem to be a logical choice.

5. As others posted, get a mouthpiece with a flugel cup and shank but with a rim the same size and shape as your trumpet mouthpiece's rim, most of the troubles that some players may face with switching mouthpieces is actually caused by the rim, not the cup.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I used a Bach 3 Flugelhorn mouthpiece for 25 years before getting a Monette B6 fl mouthpiece. Nothing wrong with that Bach mouthpiece. It played many weddings, shows, and recitals!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with Kujo. Try some flugel mouthpieces out at the store you purchased your horn. You will find a mouthpiece that is comfortable to you. And don't be wigged out if you find the mouthpiece is significantly different from the sizing of your trumpet mouthpiece. The size/dimensions of you new piece must meet the resistance pattern of the flugel AND how this impacts on your lip placement into the mouthpiece. Different dynamics of this match may lead to different sizing of the mouthpiece that feel the most comfortable to you. Actually, I believe strongly that if your current trumpet mouthpiece would fit the flugel, you would not be happy with this match.

8. Gary Borelli

Gary Borelli New Friend

Nov 5, 2010
    Stockton, CA
    I had a Phaeton Flugel that I just sold and I bought a used student version 231 Yamaha. I really did not like the Phaeton that much, especially the way the valves moved. Some people love them I just had a hard time with them. I never really got the mouthpiece part down at all. I could get a nice tone, but, not a very high register. So my question is, I play a 1 1/2C and a 3C on my trumpet so what mouthpiece would be my better bet on the Yamaha? I just don't use one enough yet to spend the money for a really good one.

Thanks,

Gary

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    3, so far. Warburton. Wicks and a Yamaha Bobby Shew. Probably settled on the Wick..................,probably.

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    What's your definition of "high register?" Written flugel parts don't usually go very high. In all the big band charts with flugel parts I've played over the years, I think I've seen one part with a few high C's in it. Flugel parts typically top out at around A or Bb above the staff.

Bach flugel pieces won't have the right shank for your Yamaha. Curry will have similar rims coupled with nice deep cups and the correct shank. Yamaha 14F4 and 16F4 pieces would also be in that size range.