trumpet mouthpiece on fluglehorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Mar 15, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before you buy any flugel mouthpiece, make sure you get the right shaft taper. The type of flugelhorn you play will dictate the taper you need. There are basically 3, a French taper, a shot and long Morse. See the attached link to use as your guide:

Mouthpiece Express.com

2. Gary Borelli

Gary Borelli New Friend

Nov 5, 2010
    Stockton, CA
    I just finished helping promote a jazz festival in Brentwood, CA SF Bay area and the headline act had a trumpet/flugelhorn player that was totally wailing on the flugelhorn and pulling off some stuff I didn't think you could do. He seemed to be able to scream in the upper range, I am guessing, at least a D above high C and did it with an extremely clear tone. My ability at this point on the horn I just sold was a G just above the staff and it was almost painful to achieve. It surprised me because I can hit a G above high C on a regular basis. The mouthpiece I had with the horn, it was generic and not marked, seemed extremely narrow. I did notice that if I backed off on the air flow into the horn, the tone was much warmer and mellow, but, to get into a higher register you need to have a faster airflow and that is what wasn't working for me. I don't know if it was me, the mouthpiece, the horn or all of the above. LOL The Yamaha I just bought ( it is on the way ) has a 12F3d and I have read some posts that this particular mouthpiece is held in good regard. So, I guess my best move is to try it first and then go from there. I have searched the web for some kind of chart that shows a relation between trumpet and flugel mouthhpiece, but, so far haven't found anything. Now if A or Bb is really the limit for a flugel then that works for me. I tried using it to play the song Wave - high note a B below high see - and it ate my lunch. We'll see how this lesser horn works.

Thanks,

Gary

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    GM was quicker than me. Though all the above comments are correct, and the Flugel MP shouldn't be a problem anyway, first choose a flugel. If it is a rotary one with a german taper, you will be able to use your trumpet mouthpiece on...the question is - do you really want to do it? It is all up to what kind of sound you are after.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    My appologies - double post :oops:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Because I only use my flugelhorn on a couple of tunes on jazz band gigs, I just pop in my Bach 3C and play away.
    I find that I can get a wide tonal range with that mouthpiece and it blends just fine for what I play.

It fits fine - and I play it like a flugelhorn - not a trumpet.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've sat beside a guy in one of the big bands I sub with who plays flugelhorn on a trumpet mouthpiece. The intonation is not so good, but I don't know if it's the flugel or the trumpet mouthpiece. He's in tune on trumpet, so I know it's not entirely him. The other problem using a trumpet mouthpiece is blending when 3 or 4 flugels are playing.

Other than that, I suppose if you're playing a solo or if you're the only flugel playing in a combo, you could use a trumpet mouthpiece, but why bother playing flugel if you're not going to use its full sound?

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Gary, I use a range up to the A that is 1.5 steps below double high C with clear tone on the flugelhorn, and can achieve consistency in this range with the Getzen 3C (on my Eterna) and now the Flip Oaks 3 Flugelhorn mouthpiece (on my Kanstul). I had the great pleasure of playing in this range along with Allen Vizzutti at a recent concert we performed together at Gilly's in Dayton on Footprints. Allen originally was playing the trumpet on this piece, but converted to flugelhorn when he heard what I was doing to trade off on the high range ideas. It come off really well. There is something magical about playing above the high D on a flugelhorn where these higher notes have a most pleasing sound.

If you don't believe me, sing up our band, the Eddie Brookshire Quintet for your next promotion in the SF area, and I will play my flugelhorn in this range to demonstrate this concept. Here is our band's site: www.eddiebrookshiremusic.com for reference.

Yet, Another Gary

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yep! Me too. 3FLS

9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Feel free to scream away on flugel, if that's your bag. I was simply making the point that it's extremely unlikely you'd ever see anything over a high C in a *published* flugel part. Sure, "Feels So Good" goes up to a D -- but how often does that tune get called?

Guido Basso seems to do just fine, playing in the staff.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My chinese flugle was a bit of a problem piece wise. Ordered a Bach for it, didn't fit, went all the way to the cup base. Was in a quandry about what to do when I got to talk to John Eth. He suggested that I try a trumpet piece for depth compared to the piece that came with it. insertion depth was exactly the same. He had had some experience in making one for another chinese owner. he made me up an X-Stream with a trumpet taper on the shank and wa-la it fit pretty good and actually made that cheapy sound better( at least to my ears). Now if I could just get the valve problem straightened out:roll::oops:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012