trumpet mouthpiece on fluglehorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Mar 15, 2011.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Well, there is no upper limit. That is determined by the player. But what you are being told is that for the most part flugel stuff will take place in the staff, where it sounds the most mellow. The mellow seems to reduce with the distance one gets above the staff. For me, a Curry fan, but others are saying the same thing about their faves, find an mpc company where you can be sure that the rim size and shape of your flugel piece is the same as for your trumpet. Tell the manufacturer which flugel you are playing and they will take care of the sleeve issues, usually. Then you are set to determine what you like in terms of cup depth for the flugel. Deeper equals more mellow and that may require more air than your trumpet does. You'll get used to it.

Play the Wave chart down an octave. You can get it all except for the last E in the A section and it will sound much better. That chart (Aebersold? Real Book?) is scored more for tenor sax.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    I played flugelhorn and trumpet in high school and switched back and forth with no problems. Bach 3C and 3CFL mouthpieces.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm talking about improvisation, not written. Iimprovisation allows you to take it to a new level. Allen and I had a blast taking it to this level. Do not limit yourself to what is restricted by the written text. Be a musician. Explore. Create.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    1 FLS y :-)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    WOW! ONLY 1 spelling error and the red squiggly did it for me! Can you/do you have a recording of some high note flugel improv you can post? I'm curious.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    All a matter of personal taste I guess. The thought of a flugel screaming extreme high range makes me cringe! Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! The flugel exists for it's particular sound, while spoil it by playing it like a trumpet?

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If you want to hear a flugel absolutely scream, in one of my very favorite solos ever, check out the song .... "Sparkling in the Sand" by Tower of Power (it's on their "East Bay Grease" album). It's the solo towards the end ... amazing. The liner notes confirm that it's a flugel ... Mic Gillette. He can play in the stratosphere on trumpet or flugelhorn, and then switch to trombone in the middle of a song. He's not human. :roll:

Turtle

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is he a turtle? :roll:

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A mutant? A mutant turtle? Wait...that's already taken...

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    He's a monster. A beast. But, mutant ninja? Not sure. I've never seen him with a mask or cape on stage, but rumor has it that he warms up IN A PHONE BOOTH. :-?

Turtle