Trumpet Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by MitchSiviter, May 2, 2013.

1. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    I play on a Zottola 64B (Roughly same cup size as a 3C) mouthpiece which is a mouthpiece perfect for range and lead trumpet playing in a Jazz band. I'm currently looking an Orchestral mouthpiece, does anyone a mouthpiece that would suit me?

2. 48' Olds "Special"

48' Olds "Special" New Friend

Apr 22, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Where did you get the Zottola ? I intrigued if its Bob Zottola who designed the piece? Thank you!
    I would look in the Bach Mega-tone line ... But of course your going to have to go and try them at the store.

3. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    I have two passed down though the family

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Since I have never heard the word, Zottola, take the advice that follows in that context. Move slowly and carefully. You may be well served just to get a piece that has the same rim and cup diameter, but is deeper, say a D instead of a C. But only change one variable at a time, like cup depth, while trying to hold all the other mpc variables constant. That may be tough to do with the Zottola being your comparison piece. A pair of calipers may help.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  6. graysono

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Good one Tobylou,
    But note that the mpc differences on the Z site are qualified (small, medium, etc.), rather than quantified (mm. inches, etc.) as in the Curry site. There is no way to tell if when the OP switches from a small to medium cup, say, the rim and cup diameter remain the same.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, I've never heard of them before so it was Google time! I've noticed over the years that a lot of small obscure makers don't give a lot of specs (some give too much). If it's "medium", we're probably in the .620 - .660 range.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Go to your local music store and try a Bach 1-1/2C. Easy to find, and not too expensive. If you don't like it, maybe it will give you a good reference point to move from. Or, I would suggest you try either a Curry 3B. or 3BC., but you won't run across those at most stores...they will have to be bought on-line, so the experiment will incur some cost.

9. graysono

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    But, it will be an immense amount of fun!

10. MitchSiviter

MitchSiviter New Friend

Apr 14, 2013
    Dudley
    I think I'm going to venture and try the Bach Megatone 3C. Thanks for your help! :D