Trumpet mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amp0709, Nov 3, 2015.

1. amp0709

amp0709 New Friend

Nov 15, 2013
    Presently on size 1 1/2 C. I feel could go with larger size. Specs state medium cup for 1 C, 1 1/2 C.
    I am on 1 1/2 C for 3 years, but now it feels slightly small.
    I assume 1 C is larger size and 1 1/4 C is between 1 C and 1.5 C.
    If so, maybe go with 1 1/4 C.
    Specs are confusing because show Bach 1.25 and 1.5 in same size group.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I too thought I needed bigger and deeper than my 1 1/2 C, now I play quite happily with a 5C

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    They are three very different mouthpieces.
    The 1 1/2 although a large mouthpiece, is good for all-around work.
    The 1 1/4C requires very strong and well trained chops. This mouthpiece is more the the soloist and orchestral players. The cup does not seem larger until you play it. It will eat up someone who does not practice two to three hours daily.
    The 1C, like the 1 1/4C, is designed for very strong players who practice hours daily. Very strong players can use this for many different kinds of playing. It is a very popular orchestral mouthpiece.
    Each of them have different alpha angles, cup volumes, and rims. The 1 1/2C is the "smallest" of the three and they are not the same size. Many other mouthpiece manufacturers who have copied the 1 1/2C have found it around .668" or 16.8mm. The 1 1/4C has been measured at approximately .670" or 17mm and the 1C has been measured at approximately .680" or 17.2mm. I say around because the Bach mouthpieces did vary. The same models can and did considerably different from one another.
    There are many reasons why your 1 1/2C feels slightly smaller than it once did, but it is impossible to diagnose this issue over the internet.
    Sensitive players can feel the difference in a mouthpiece at less than the diameter of a human hair.
    Rich T.

4. amp0709

amp0709 New Friend

Nov 15, 2013
    In high school, it was 5C. In college, 3C, then 2.5C, 2C, 1.5C. I tried going back to 2C. In 10 minutes, lips beat up, couldn't continue playing on 2C.
    Larger mouthpiece allows me play easier than smaller size. I am age 54.

5. amp0709

amp0709 New Friend

Nov 15, 2013
    Thanks for reply. Speaking of feeling the difference of human hair, I believe it. It took 2 years make switch from 2 1/2C to 2C.
    Then 2 years later, 2C felt small to my surprise, and made smooth transition to 1 1/2C in heartbeat. I may order 1 1/4C just to see the effect.
    I play the horn daily but only for enjoyment and church mass.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    If a larger one works for, go for it.
    The mouthpieces you played are all vastly different from each other and the 2C and 2 1/2C have very low alpha angles (undercut) and are difficult for many to play.
    I suggest you contact mouthpiece manufacturers for advice. They do it for a living and will ask you specific questions about your playing and what you are looking for.
    Rich T.,

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that you are fooling yourself. A 1.5C NEVER feels small unless you beat your chops up so bad that the swelling isn't covered anymore.

We do not "grow" into ever bigger mouthpieces. The more we intelligently practice, the greater the choices as we can make just about anything work well. I do not like the sound of immature chops and breathing with big mouthpieces. It sounds muffled, dull, boring.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    This why I now play my 5C

9. amp0709

amp0709 New Friend

Nov 15, 2013
    I appreciate your comment. At times I question the need for larger mouthpiece. Earlier in the year, after seeing my posted video, not keeping jaw lined up with mouthpiece. I made correction to keep lower jaw forward, took some time get used to it. He felt it may be the reason the mouthpiece feels small. I met old classmate at homecoming football game. He is on 1X mouthpiece, needed more room. Yeah, whatever works. I got the mail order cornet 1 1/4C, still wait on trumpet mouthpiece before trying it. Keep you posted.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, not whatever works, rather what can we talk ourselves into. Most mouthpiece decisions are not based on any facts, rather are just bandaids over symptoms. This thread is no different! Instead of fixing problems, we avoid the symptoms. Most of the time not improving our playing one bit.

Moving the jaw also does not create a need for a different mouthpiece.