Trumpet mouthpieces fit Flugels?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamiefoxer, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jamiefoxer

jamiefoxer New Friend

Jul 11, 2005
    Guys,

Does a Bach 7C mouthpiece work with a Flugelhorn? Currenlty, I'm using it for a Selmer Claude Gordon Trumpet.

I'm new to horns, so I was wondering if there was any difference in the mouthpiece between a flugel, a trumpet, a cornet, etc.

2. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    You may find a Fluglehorn with a reciever that fits your mouthpiece, but the sound it produces probably won't be very nice. Flugle mouthpieces generally have a V shaped cup rather than the D shaped trumpet mouthpiece. If you buy a flugle, you'll probably get a mouthpiece free with it. If not, you'll need to buy a flugle piece.

Cornets are less different to trumpets, but usually players use a piece with a deeper cup for cornet.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And the shank diameter is going to be different so you might not even get a trumpet mouthpiece to fit a flugelhorn no matter what shape the cup is.

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yes, it probably won't fit, but you can aslo buy certain adaptors to make a trumpet piece fit on a flugle/cornet. I also saw one that makes a trombone mouthpiece fit on a french horn! You wanna try something really interesting, put a tennor sax mouthpiece on a marching baritone... it fits with no adaptor!

But then again, from what I hear those adaptors really mess up the tuneing of the horn, plus they are about the same price as another decent mouthpiece so you might as well spend the money on the right mouthpiece.