Trumpet Music for covering all the BASICS.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jul 31, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Hello all my trumpetfriends out in cyberspace.

I would like to hear if you use some special music piece that you practise to develop/maintain all or most of the basics we trumpetplayers need to control?

For example: I use the "good old" Haydn Trumpet concerto but I play it with my Bb- Trumpet to practise articulation, sound.

Could you guys give me some tips for pieces that involv as much "basics" as possible?

Robert:play:

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    IMO pgs 20-33 in the Arbans.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    John Cage 4'33"

That will get you tuned into yourself faster than anything I know of!

4. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Often have you...**** ok...Im not going to....Humor is important. As for "ART" and people who love that.....**********

5. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    oh that is really good....it is art...listen to it...mmhm.....feelings...

6. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I am thinking of doing a big piece...I do not know if I am goiing to able to do it bout The name will be "9.34"......It is going to be BIG!!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Robert,
    my point is that leaving a trumpeter alone with himself (herself) for more than a couple seconds is VERY useful. It is amazing how creative you can get if you just take a REAL time out. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are on permanent transmit, and have forgotten how to tune in to something else!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Harold Mitchell method books for trumpet cover all the important parts--for a cheapo version, if you can find "The Trumpeter's Daily Stunt" by Schuebruk it is a good way too.

In the long run, long tones, slurring, tonguing, arpeggios and scales--ain't much more to the trumpet than playing those!

9. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    No need to get your handbag out Robert! J.Cage is one of the coolest dudes to come out of America. :thumbsup:

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I keep hearing the Arbans suggestion but I'm not really good enough for Arbans yet (I'm a come-back only 6 months in and still rebuilding my chops). Do you have any suggestions to get me ready for the Arbans? I've been practicing the music for the band I'm in, doing scales, long tones, and the Rubank Intermediate method mostly.