Trumpet Needs Mirror.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey everyone,

Had a great lesson with private teacher, pinpointed important issue (cheeks puffing out w/trumpet, but not w/mp or w/out mp) for me that I have to correct. Best way, according to him, is play into a mirror, and even better if the mirror is close-up, mounted onto the leadpipe. Only need to see about nose to chin. Any ideas where to get such a device?

Turtle

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Play in the bathroom?

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Practice in the can??? :-?

Was hoping to keep trumpet out of the loo for whole host of reasons .... not the least of which is: It's a bit loud in there.

And, you know, it's a BIT LOUD in there. :shhh:

TJ

4. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    I use a dollar store mirror with a magnetic strip on the back. There are small shaving mirrors with clamps at the local Walmart. Maybe your local store?

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Uncle Dave,

Are you in Saskatchewan (sp?? ... sorry)? Something cheap would be nice, you know, rather than shelling out another $50+ for the latest "Chop Monitorer" or whatever high tech device thingie in brushed silver. Would be great to solve this low tech for $1. Thanks for the ideas.

Turtle

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Do you really need to mount it on the leadpipe? No.

Go to the nearest hobby store or drug store and get a generic, cheap mirror and put it on the stand. If you really need to see it up close, raise the stand to face level, set the mirror close to the left edge, and then move close to the stand. It will work. Trust me. Spend more time practicing and less time getting caught up in gear and trinkets.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Put a small band-aid on each cheek. When the cheeks puff the band-aids will resist stretching and you will feel it.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aim your laptop at yourself while you are playing and have the camera display the image on the screen.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone!

Solved it with a $1 mirror to put on the stand. That's the ticket. You're right, trickg, who needs another gadget hanging off the trumpet? I like the bandaid idea too.

Feeling the difference is the key, I think. Seeing it happen helps to get the feeling of keeping the corners of the mouth anchored. When a friend asked me what I was up to, I told her I was training my face. :oops:

TJ

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's good to hear - I re-read my post and it came off a little more harshly than I'd intended. The written word on a forum like this doesn't always do a good job of conveying tone or intent. :oops:

But, I'm glad that you have the mirror on the stand and that you are working to eliminate a bad habit before it gets too ingrained. The important thing is that you are practicing, you are aware of the issue, and that you are concerned about it. That setup right there is what will help you succeed with it if you stick with it.

Keep after it, don't expect miracles overnight (Rome wasn't built in a day, after all) and keep us posted on how things are going with it.