Trumpet Needs Mirror.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks trickg,

And thank G! that I have a private teacher. And a good one too! That makes all the difference in the world.

The Turtle

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just following up here .... Thanks for the tips everyone!

It's been a week and a half, my teacher is on another holiday and I've been working on it dilligently with the mirror. I was only going down that road (of cheeks puffing) for 3 months before I found the private teacher, but that's obviously long enough to begin forming a bad habit! (Beginners without teachers, TAKE NOTE).

With the mirror, NOTHING is hidden, so it was a pretty easy matter to see the puffing (along with all the tension, my god!) and change it. I'm also at work to remove as much of this other tension as I can ...... Cannot figure out why my face needs to go through this. It's like muscles that don't need to be working are tensed and working! Veins in my neck are stiking out, something that NEVER happens when I sing, no matter how much I push it. More work to be done ........

But for the cheeks ..... A TOTAL FIX. :play: Some nice side benefits came along with that, but I think those are interesting enough for a new post.

Turtle

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now replace the mirror with a picture of someone that you love and keep your cheeks in for them. :grouphug: It works too! One day you can replace the mirror with sheet music, then you have it all! :lol:

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

The most relaxed trumpeter's face I've seen so far (only on youtube) is Alison Balsom. Doesn't seem like the slightest bit of extra work going on in that face to produce that huge, glorious sound she gets. Some great lesson there!

T