Trumpet newbie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Hello

I'm new to trumpets and I've a question (I've used the search but didn't found anything).

I'm trying to learn the trumpet by myself because I can't find a teacher where I live,
    Playing C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 isn't a big problem but playing above that is very hard, if I want to play the C2 (which almost never works)
    it feels like my lips are way to tight. I'm a little bit afraid to play too much because I don't want a bad embouchure...

I've looked in the Arban Complete Method and the first studie begins with a G1 and a C2, so I think it isn't normal that it seems so hard to me?

So, is it normal that the C2 is so hard to me? I'm looking for some tips...

Regards

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Fill us in on where you live and there is a possibility someone on the forum might have some names of teachers who could help.

In the meantime, don't stress out about range (that's a slippery slope that can claim players with decades of experience). Work on relaxed breathing and getting a nice full tone.

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I'm from Belgium (west-flanders)...

But not being able to play a C2 seems so wierd? The beginners scale everywhere is from C1 to C2. And a B1 is already hard...

4. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    That's wonderful that you are picking up trumpet! I understand the frusteration of not being able to find a tutor, but you will find this website very informative, if you look hard enough.
    I just joined as well, and I am sure there are many more experienced trumpet players here that can give you advise.
    But here is mine:

Its great that you JUST started, and you have already found The Arban's Book. I got it a couple months ago, and I've been playing for a few years!
    Anyways, especially for beginners such as yourself, hitting that C may be a tad hard. It will take time, and don't worry about ruining your embrochure too much, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with that. If your lips start getting numb, I suggest take a break, and return later. As for completing that scale, work on hitting that G. Arban's book is a wonderful thing, and I encourage you to read all the information in it, but at the moment, I would suggest just trying to hit that C. Right now, you are but building up your embrochure.

Yes, it is absolutely normal that you're having trouble with that C.
    What I found is that it can sometimes be mind over matter. This means that you just have to think about different techniques to hit it. To hit notes out of your range, you must calm yourself down, kinda like a zen state of mind. then just think of the note in your head, and imagine yourself hitting it. You might not hit it for a while, you might hit it right off the bat. It is different for everyone. Don't get too frusterated. if you get frusterated, stop and then do something else, like study fingerings, or teach yourself something else in that magical book of Arbans.

It is normal for your lips to feel tight. you will get better with it as you go. in reality, what makes a note higher is when your tongue arches in the back, and makes that little stream of air go faster. don't focus on that, however. If you are determined enough, it will naturally happen. It just takes time.

What I did to hit high notes is go up the scale and back down it like this: C,D,E,F, D,E,F,G, E,F,G,A, F,G,A,B, G,A,B,C^ F,G,A,B, E,F,G,A, D,E,F,G, C,D,E,F, C,D,E,D, C.
    try that and see if that helps. beyond that, there are many other people here that can help you.

good luck! and have fun!

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Arban's isn't for beginners. Play what you can and stretch up and down a 1/2 step at a time over a period of weeks.

6. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    My first note was a G. my friend, Molly, could hit the C2, but simply could not hit the low C! This happens. everybody's different. :p

7. mgcoleman

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    It's not weird. Every player has limits and every player experiences different limits as they progress and learn. Be accepting of yourself and take pride in making well-defined gains when they happen, big or small (usually they are small, so be patient).
    For now, you might want to focus on learning more notes (fingerings) and use the chromatic scale. Here is a nice set of exercises that are in or right around your range as you described it: Chromatic Scale Sheet. Range will come over time. Perhaps set a goal of gaining one semitone each week for now until you can play C2 in the exercises. Each time you achieve a step (should I say half-step), it is a success and you should be proud of your accomplishment.

8. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    @Mud, I was thinking that C1 G1 and C2 were the basic notes for beginners which are very simple to play. And I'm very happy to hear that it isn't that special that I'm not able to play the C2, the C1 is getting very easy and the G1 to so I can start to work on my tone etc. I'll try the exercise that you said asap! And indeed, this site looks very interesting, and reading about embouchure and other players there problems will also help me to improve faster (I think).

@Mgoleman, thanks alot for that pdf file, It's perfect for me! And I hope my range will improve fast.

Another question:
    Tomorrow I'll get my practice mute (Denis Wick), is it good to play a lot with this mute or is it better to begin without it and then later (when I'm getting better) start using it?

Thanks!!

9. mgcoleman

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I wouldn't use a practice mute unless it is absolutely necessary. If you have a choice (i.e. nobody calling the cops or pounding on the door/wall), definitely practice without it. It is important for you to really listen to yourself, your tone, your intonation and develop your ear as your develop all of your other trumpet skills.

10. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    I've never used a practice mute before, and really, from what i looked up, unless you are in an appartment complex with neighbors that complain, it isn't too nessessary to use the mute. For now, I would simply practice without it, and if it is late, or your neighbor is in a bad mood, I would pop that sucker in, and give er' a blow XD

As for the amount of practice with it, it shouldn't affect how much you play, so you can really use it as much as you want, just make sure you get some time to practice without it. After long periods of using the mute, you take it out and play, and WOAH, do you remember how loud you can play!

happy playing!