Trumpet newbie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Of course, I'll practice as much as I can without it but I really like to play an instrument late in the evening. My neighbor is pretty deaf, so that's very good for me, haha!
    But I'ld rather use it to not disturb my parents and brother ;)

Thanks again for the replies! (More tips are still welcome :-) )

2. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    if you haven't played a brass instrument before what you are doing is incredible!!
    keep looking for a teacher and don't be afraid to practice too much. If you get to the point where you can't feel your lip or if it is swollen, yeah then it is time to stop. and C2 is a strange note to begin on. try using Rubank Band method. I used it not only for band, but also for just playing on my own. it starts of to the point where you just get to know the notes and then moves on.
    Good Luck!!!

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I play bluesharp and saxophone but the embouchure for a trumpet is a lot harder... (Impossible to compare, of course ;) )
    I always stop playing when my lips are starting to twinkel/sparkle (I'm not sure how they say that in English...)

4. Trumpetmasta

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    the word is maybe tingle and yes that is good that you have former experience, but both are different then a brass just keep with it and keep trying!

5. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    XD tingle works
    I tried to play a reed instrument once..... no sound came out. i think i blew too hard.
    all i know is that I could never play a reed instrument :D and theres too many buttons for me to understand XD thats why i chose trumpet. 3 versus 21.

6. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Haha, It's all about the embouchure :D. A bluesharp is also a very nice instrument (also very cheap :p) and not that hard to learn the basics, worth trying ;).

7. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    i have never heard of that instrument before o_O
    what does it look like?
    this intregues me...

8. Trumpetmasta

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    I think he/she is talking about a blues harp which to us is a harmonica

9. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium

Attached Files:

10. Mud

Mud Pianissimo User

May 26, 2012
    Noblesville, IN
    oooohhh okay. I have never heard it called a bluesharp or blues harp. it looks a little difficult to play, talk about muscle memory!