Trumpet newbie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Jun 5, 2012.

1. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    The comment that someone said about the Arban not being for begginers, I'd disagree a bit with this. The point of the Arban is to start with the basics and not going any further on each exercise until you have it nailed. BUT. I would say, get a few lessons to point you in the right direction in how to use it effectively :)
    As for your embouchure, do what feels right at the moment. Keep the corners of your lips tight, keep your throat relaxed and just blow. Don't try and "push" the note out by squeezing the trumpet on your face. Patience is key. Don't run before you can walk. Long low notes to start with.

And the most important thing you can do is ENJOY IT! :)

Hope this helps in some way and good luck with it. Oh, and welcome! :)

2. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Ok, thanks ;).

And the notes are very logical placed on the blues harp ;), not that hard to know by heart

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I've been practicing trumpet everyday since one week now (school vacation).

And I always have to stop playing because my muscles are not strong enough anymore to play the notes.
    This is normal I think because my "trumpet muscles" are not developed enough yet.

Is there a way to train this muscles besides playing the trumpet?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As veery715 has said Arban's isn't for beginners and that's why its title reads "Complete Conservatory Method ...". I had an excellent band director who was also my private tutor who let me have the my first copy when I was a junior in high school ( I had been with trumpet 5 years then) a copy we had scrounged during WWII. I subsequently wore that copy out in college, but now 50 years later have a platinum edition that I now often refer to for practice. Yes, I again agree with veery again as to build your chromatic scale (1/2 steps) note by note. My comment is learning well is not a race, but in the beginning one cannot even perceive the goal of accomplishment.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Others will also tell you to rest as much as you play, and as I tutor, for my students I have I set this regimen alternating at 20 minutes of actual "lip time" and 20 minutes rest where I'm talking or demonstrating. I'd say that a starting regimen for you is do not exceed 10 minutes "lip time" without a 10 miutes rest cycle, and try to achieve an actual hour of "lip time" daily (it will take 2 hours to accomplish this).

My style is never use a mute unless the music or the director requires it OR the sound you produce irritates family or neighbors. There is no doubt that listening to etudes repeated over and over irritates many ... yet they must be accomplished. Subsequently, when you play a song well there are fewer complaints.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Kantza,

Heed what Ed Lee recommends. He knows what he is talking about.

There is no "beginner" scale on the trumpet. What pitches you are able to play are determined by your initial setup and that is where you "begin". If you can play C1 - G1 up and down, then for the next week, extend to lower B and G#1 - a half step either way. Make sure you learn the 1/2 steps from C1 to G1 also - there are 8 different pitches there and you need to know how to play them all. As you extend a half step above and below, in a week you will be playing 10 chromatic pitches. The next week add two more with lower Bb and A, for 12. In the next week when you add Ab and Bb1 you will be at the point where you will be able to play a complete Bb major scale - at the end of three weeks. Each successive week will raise your range a half step. Two weeks after you can play a Bb major scale you will be able to play a C major scale. and in the week between Bb and C you will be able to play a B major scale IF you have learned all those in between half steps as I suggested.

Be patient and before long you will be playing notes you cannot yet reach.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If I were to say I've been through all the trials and tribulations of myself learning to play ... and replay ... I don't believe many here on TM will contradict that statement. While a very few times in my life I've been paid to play, I do not consider myself a pro or now have any aspirations of becoming one. I now mainly pursue music with multiple brass instruments because it is one alternative to a vocation that I am still able to enjoy due to my age and health.

Facts are reality, there are now very few positions available for a trumpet player, and fewer that will be the sole support of a family. Those that achieve such recognized status are the best and with rare exception, I'd estimate have a minimum of 20 years experience albeit some have condensed this by extended daily practice and rehearsals to as much as 8 hours "lip time" daily or what most would consider a normal "work day" which for them is exactly what it is.