Trumpet Nicknames

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachM, Mar 27, 2015.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Word on the street is Vulgano Brother not only names them, but talks to them on a regular basis, and then they answer him back. I refer to this as the Ray of Insanity. It's center is at the other end of the neurological system from his Ray of Power.

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My only horn with a name was named by a friend. My gold V Raptor goes by the name of Pork Chop - I would post a link to the cartoon it came from, but because of some bad language I'll refrain. Just search YouTube for "G I Joe PSA parodies" and you'll find it! The rest of my horns are referred to either as Mr. Trumpet, or random terms of endearment. The exception would be my Navy horn, which is usually called "The bane of my existence" or "you$&!!?#$!!!!"

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My trumpets do not have names. I do talk to them though, and they provide feedback.

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Horn?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Horny!

Donald trumpet likes this.
  6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've named most of my main axes over the years, although I haven't had too many of them.

The Strad I had from 1986-1997 was Lucinda
    The Strad i had from 1997-2010 was Cynthia
    My current Schilke B6 is Jasmine

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I haven't (yet) named a trumpet, but HAVE named important (to me) cars...

An old autocross car...a Ford Fiesta in TRULY shocking apple green I disrespectfully called "Slimer"...as it was just likely to leave a layer of slime wherever it was parked.
    My beloved old '63 Austin Cooper autocross car I named "Exeter"...(the thinking was an auto-cross is called an auto-X, and since it was a great autocross car, it ATE the "X"'s..., therefore X-eater).

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    My wife always names her mobile homes - all names starting with K (because they are krap). We had a Klaus (which was a 1972 VW transport, with the early 44 bhp petrol engine), there was a Karl (a very early Merc van converted into some semblance of a mobile home by a home artist) and now we have Knut, a 1978 Ford Transit (ex-Postal) again converted into a mobile home by our local chained madman. Imagine 3.5 tons of vehicle running on a 54 bhp diesel engine, with no power steering, trying to get around tight corners...

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Never named any instrument. It's not like they come when you call.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I never gave my trumpets names as such, but I do refer to them a little differently when talking to my family:
    The Strad, or the Stradivarius, or the Bach (Vincent Bach Stradivarius model 43G)
    The Destino, or the new golden trumpet, or the Shires (S.E. Shires Doc Severinsen Destino III)
    The Recording (Olds Recording)
    The Committee (Martin Handcraft Committee)
    The flugelhorn (Conn Vintage One flugelhorn)
    The cornet (Amati 201 cornet)

Some I call by something like their model name, some occasionally by the brand, and some just what they are (since I only have one each of those). The only point I find really interesting is I don't think I ever call the Recording my Olds, or the Committee my Martin, and might wonder if there are other models for which people focus on that part more than the brand?

Sometimes my wife tells me I should call the Destino "my Precious", in the same way Gollum called the One Ring in Tolkien's "The Lord Of The Rings" novel trilogy. (Well worth a read, by the way, if you can put the approximation depicted in the recent movies out of your mind.)

--bumblebee