trumpet oldie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by senior76, Aug 5, 2008.

1. senior76

senior76 New Friend

Aug 5, 2008
    Anybody familiar with a trumpet by Keefer? I have had this horn since buying it used in 1955 in San Francisco. I enjoyed it for years. Some years back, a friend dropped it and dented the bell. After a couple of years of no use, I picked it up and found the valves worked like they were just oiled. It needs re-coating (lacquer), but the horn is pretty sound. No other dents. I researched the serial number 3044 with a 1 above it on the middle valve. The numbers before and after show the years 1913 and 1914. Anybody have any other info? I'm wondering if I should have it fixed and re-lacquered, or leave it the way it is, if it has any antique value. thanks

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

You could send it me as a gift. Keefer trumpets were a hand built custom quality horn in their day. If it were mine, I would get out my bell mandrels and find one that matched so that I could roll out the crumples. Then, I would play it extensively.

OLDLOU>>

4. senior76

senior76 New Friend

Aug 5, 2008
    I appreciate the input. I'll look into the other web pages. I was just wondering if there was any value on the horn, considering its age. I always hear that if something is an antique, and it's refurbished, then its value is diminished.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's not exactly the same for horns as it is for other antiques. If the horn is all original, has nice valves, isn't beat up, and has most of its original finish, that's true - refinishing it will probably reduce its value. If it's really bent up, missing quite a bit of the finish, valves worn out, etc., then overhauling it to bring it back to factory fresh appearance and performance will definitely increase its value. Same goes with polishing a tarnished finish - the "patina" rules for antiques don't count. If the silver plating is tarnished black, poilsh it. It will not hurt the value at all.