trumpet on plane....please help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hussiend, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    When I saw the title my first thought was of a bad thriller movie. (Snakes on a plane, that sort of thing.) Hmm...

2. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    I've never had problems with carrying a trumpet domestically or internationally. However, to preclude any problems with overzealous TSA folks in the US I no longer have my in-bell stand in my case as I could easily fashion it into a weapon. I keep my oil and other liquids in my checked baggage.

3. jim miller

jim miller Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2008
    California
    I was recently boarding a flight & had mpc in my carry on luggage & was pulled out the line, given a pat down search & attracted the attention of the supervisor & several other security personell, when I voluntered that I thought I knew what set the alarm off & told them about the mpc, the searcher--a former trumpet player--quickly found the mpc--explained to the supervisor & I was on my way. from then on I carried mpc in pocket & placed in dish when boarding & no problem. jm

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    ROFL

Let's get those "Trumpets in Action Movies" partners to get to work on this movie poster!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
    I've never had a problem bringing a trumpet on the plane, however they generally don't approve if you take it out and start playing...

6. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You shouldn't have a problem at all bringing it on the plane, and I strongly suggest doing so. The people at customs could open your case, and since they are in a rush, may not close it properly and could damage your horn badly.

7. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I second that notion, especially if you are flying with United but always keep it with you anyways. I just came across this link

United Breaks Guitars | Dave Carroll Music.com

and can't believe the negligence of some airlines. But even properly handled there is a chance your instrument will be tossed around as the plane is moving at over 500mph.

8. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    [​IMG]

Bachstul likes this.
  9. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Oh, I think I see some some clone tool mishaps ... lol

10. nordlandstrompet