trumpet on plane....please help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hussiend, Jul 7, 2009.

1. CDF

CDF New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Why not? Long flights are great for practicing those pp long tones.

2. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm pretty sure its actually bad for your lungs. The difference in pressure, especially when ascending/descending can stretch or shrink your lungs if you hold your breath for too long.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I thought when I saw this thread of the title of the movie snakes on a plane aswell lol

Also after reading that article, im scared for when my band goes to paris and london, I have to bring my strad for when our jazz band performs in the jazz clubs in london and the aristocrat for the parades, and hearing that im scared to see what will happen. I love my two trumpets, hopefully with an entire band going they won't cause too much grief, but with other stories of the trumpet cases being ripped open and not properly closed, then being thrown underneath the plane, scares me!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  5. Skiingfool

Skiingfool New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    As long as you don't put a bomb in your trumpet, you are good :-)

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes - the security people have a task, to keep all of us safe - but this experience was completely over the top (although the musician WAS carrying a trumpet and a flugel, which means a fairly large case). Perhaps 'everyone' overreacted - and with a nasty outcome. (Charles de Gaulle, in Paris can be a strange place in my experience) - especially if we are not French.

Having worked in the airline industry for 40 years it still astounds me where the combination of passengers (mostly with high expectations but often in a stressful, unfamiliar, situation) and officious airline staff can lead. Some passengers can be truly impolite and sometimes even nasty.

Just a thought - it is VERY VERY UNWISE (no pun intended) to mention anything about bombs, or anything to do with weapons, in any airport in the world - in Australia, such a comment - even in jest - will get you gaoled, it is quite simply against the law. Be careful, be safe, be flexible - others are under stress too - and carry your horn on board, always - never, ever, ever, allow your trumpet to go in the hold, if the airline doesn't agree, find one that does. I've been in aircraft cargo compartments a lot and I know exactly what I'm saying.

7. ShowKing

ShowKing New Friend

Apr 30, 2009
    i flew domestic and they confiscated my al cass valve oil saying it is not permitted :-(

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    All you have to do is put your valve oil in a clear plastic bag, like a Zip Lock bag.

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I've never had a problem with it - one time they said I needed to put it below (all the overhead space was used) and I explained to them that there were $3000+ in the case and that it couldn't go below they put it up in the first class storage. :D

I've found valve oil/slide grease is generally fine so long as its in a plastic bag.
    I'll be going out through Charles de Gaulle in a few weeks so I'll let you know how that experience goes (if there is a problem).

10. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Can it go with your trumpet case in carry-on or does the valve oil need to be stored in your checked baggage?