trumpet or cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I recently have purchased a couple of cornets - a 40's King Master and a L.A. Olds Amb. - I really enjoy playing them and endurance and range has not been affected, in fact my upper range is a little more comfortable on the Olds. do any of you directors out there object to cornets in your trumpet section? I would probably play the trumpet at a concert but would like to use the cornet for reh. Dave

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    As you can probably guess from my log in name, in a band setting I would prefer cornets over trumpets, and to really get the players to make the distinction in sound. When I adjudicate bands I do ask for the people playing the cornet parts to think warmer and rounder sound.

Short answer No I dont have a problem with cornets in band, as long as the player sounds good and can play reasonably in tune.

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I would rather have a full section of trumpet, rather than like 6 trumpets and one cornet. The only time I like to use cornets in band is when the part spcifies cornet or trumpet. Then it should be cornets on the cornet parts, and trumpets on the trumpet parts.

Thats just what i prefer, but ask your director.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ideally, the cornet section should have a unified cornet sound, and the trumpet section should have a unified trumpet sound. If playing in an ensemble that only uses trumpets, you may want to go with trumpet in order to blend your sound. I would love to do something like the Barnes Variations on a Theme with actual cornets and trumpets...but we use all trumpets.

5. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    I teach 5th and 6th grade band. Therefore, I really don't have a preference as far as sound goes. Young trpt/cornet sounds are still developing. I try to get the fullest and most supportive (air) sound possible from my kids.

However, with a mature group, I would prefer to have the cornet parts played on cornets and the trpt parts played on trumpets.

It also depends on the piece we are playing.

frank