Trumpet or Mouthpiece, which is easier?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hey,

Just for kicks...

Which is easier:

1: Buying the trumpet you like the sound of, then searching through the myriads of Mouthpieces to find the one that 'hits the sweet spot' to give the particular sound you want on that trumpet.

2: Buying the Mouthpiece you want, then looking for a trumpet that will sound the best with that mouthpiece (which is kind of like Trumpet finding you in this case as it could be anything that 'hits the spot' with the mouthpiece). - This is kind of interesting, adventure into the unknown.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Buy 100 mouthpieces (a myriad is not necessary) and 100 trumpets, then try out the resulting 10.000 combinations. Keep the one you prefer. Sell all the rest of the stuff. Scientific method.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Either approach has merit. It is not hard to find trumpeters that maintain that the mouthpiece contributes more to a desired outcome than the trumpet. My approach has been to select a trumpet with a reputation for producing the sound I am after and then experiment with mouthpieces until I think I have obtained it.

Jim

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    +1.
    Let me add that any mouthpiece is cheaper than any good trumpet …

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Interesting question, Gxman. Kind of like, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?". I think there will likely be a wide variety of answers.

For me, if I had to pick one of the answers, I'd pick #2. Any trumpet I purchase would go with my current mouthpiece.

However, for me personally, I don't believe in finding the ideal trumpet-mouthpiece combination for each horn in my collection. Maybe if I used more specialized mouthpieces, then the ideal trumpet-mouthpiece combinations might be important. But I use a pretty "middle of the road" mouthpiece, a Bach 3C. Of course, everyone is different. This is just my preference.

Also, for me personally, I play my current mouthpiece for a reason. For me, it would be a deal-breaker if I thought I had to switch mouthpieces to match the characteristics of a particular horn.

Mike

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I've always used 2 mouthpieces (one for lead and one for legit) regardless of the trumpet I'm playing, so I guess I would fall into category 2.

I've never purchased a trumpet and then changed mouthpieces to accommodate the horn.

That said, I do have different trumpets that I choose to use in different situations, but I still use the same 2 (and on rare occasions 3) mouthpieces that I always have.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, as my sound begins in the mouthpiece, that is where I'd begin my selection. However, that said, I now find that such poses a conundrum as I favor so many mouthpieces. Too, in tutoring, I demonstrate with a mouthpiece as close to what the student is using as I find possible from my collection which at times includes a Blessing 7C that I find has less bite than the Bach. Too, it's a fact that some mpcs mate better to some instruments more than others to produce the sound I like with the least effort or other loss in performance.

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I had, when I started playing the trumpet some kind of a same problem. I didn't know how to start. First obtaining a trumpet or first starting to learn to play the trumpet?
    Because it was too difficult learning the trumpet without a trumpet the decision was made.

9. calihorn

calihorn Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2009
    Not sure if it is "easier," but for me finding the right mouthpiece was more important. With a mouthpiece that fits me, I can usually make even a bad quality trumpet sound pretty good, but if I play with a mouthpiece that doesn't fit me, then I will have trouble making even the best trumpet in the world sound good! lol

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    if you are paying attention, the horns and mouthpieces find you. No need to try and figure it out!