Trumpet Players and Dental Cavities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Apr 10, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I returned from my brother's office (he is my dentist) for yet another year of my life without a single cavity. I don't do anything special for my dental care other than brush once a day, in the evening just before going to bed. As I approach my twilight years, people think it's amazing I have never had a cavity.

Then I got to thinking, could it be my trumpet playing? Perhaps the sonic vibrations of playing the horn keep plaque at bay... or rapid flow and use of oxygen in the oral cavity, keeping anaerobic cavity causing bacteria in check.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are many other cavity free trumpet players that have played all their life like me OR combackers that may have had cavities, but once they were playing again, that they too began having cavity free dental check ups. Any posts from dentists here on this forum would also be most welcomed.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Good for you concerning your check up, Gary. Our oral hygiene habits are quite similar. I have had a few cavities in years past, but none in the last two years, since beginning my comeback. Interesting hypothesis. As you frequently point out concerning other aspects of our persons, genetics probably plays a significant role too.
    Jim

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cavities, yes. Wisdom teeth, no. Maybe my teenage pursuit of the DHC had something to do with that. Then again, my teenage pursuit of the DHC was a result of having no wisdom teeth.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ah the magic of valve oil.:-)

Mike

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Mike, seriously, you think it could be the valve oil? Please post on... would love to hear your theory on this.

6. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    A quick search of PubMed search for "mineral oil dental caries" suggests that there may be some basis for this theory.

Gary, I realize you know this (as do the rest of us). But here's my disclaimer. You shouldn't brush your teeth with valve oil, even though it is essentially mineral oil. It is not food grade, it has other additives, and it should not be used orally.

Mike

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The presence of a lot of saliva in the mouth is a great inhibitor of cavities. Maybe trumpet playing helps generate extra saliva?

8. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely, Dale.

I think we have at least one dentist here on TM. As Gary suggested, maybe he can share some of his insight.

Mike

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Dunno about this. I never had a cavity but I get some tough plaque and I have some bone loss on a few spots on both jaws. Was told it was probably from smoking.

Diet and genetics might have a lot to do with it too.

I am imagining the 1960's looking Conn commercial with the old-fashioned white coat dentist supervising the trumpet playing kids: "Trumpet playing develops the brain, builds perseverance and protects your teeth. Get your little one a Conn Director, 20% off if you call in the next 5 minutes! Dentist approved!!! Now that's a thought...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I Am Not A Doctor Or A Dentist (IANADOAD) but I was once told there is a certain percentage of the population who's mouths are toxic or otherwise unfriendly to the bacteria/bugs which cause cavities. The person who told me was also NADOAD so this may be swine sanitiser, but I wonder if it has any basis in fact.

--bumblebee