Trumpet Players and Dental Cavities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Apr 10, 2013.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I just had a flash back to some comedy I once saw (maybe Woody Allen) that showed a cellist in a marching band moving his chair down the road a few yards, stop, play a few notes, then repeat.............

sorry, off topic I know, but had me rolling at the time...............ROFL

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    That explains it Doc! I think your wife, the dentist, is flossing you in your sleep! Look for telltale signs of green minty string on your pillow........:lol:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The cute horn player laughing her head off in that parade later became a hippie dental assistant in the woods somewhere in Washington State, then studied horn and got very good. She is a former girlfriend of mine.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I remembered it more like this:

Friedrich's Destiny Nightmare - YouTube

And at that point... we went WAY beyond flossing

5. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    This brings up another ? for me ,i know about the PH thing as it applies to sweat ,you know? those old trumpets with patches of lacquer missing? so maybe PH is in all the bodily fluids ? interesting,,,,,,BTW it is a good thing you blow on a trumpet and not suck ,,,,,,,,,,,:lol:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sadly, Kingtrumpet may never come to realize this...ROFLROFLROFL

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most of us suck on trumpet a little bit...

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I of course am just joking about Kingtrumpet... I have heard his playing and he really does not suck. In fact, I believe most of use here on TM are beyond the Conscious Incompetent mode (realizing that one sucks) and at least well into the Conscious Competent mode of trumpet playing... which is not that we suck, but we realize were we need to work, do so, and progress. I mean the forum is called Trumpet Masters.

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Hmm, I had many cavities as a child, but near as I can remember they were all from before I started playing! Might have had one or two since. Have lived on well water most of my life, no real change in dental habits. OTOH, I don't really play that often here in my post-schooling comeback (such as it is), coupla times a week maybe, so would that be enough, were this to have any basis in fact? I wouldn't think so. And there were those nearly ten years off in the middle...

10. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I like to use slide grease on the tip of my tongue it makes me double tongue faster ROFL