Trumpet Players and Dental Cavities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Interesting discussion:

All i know is i had 2 cavities fixed today ,the lady dentist hit all the nerves in both teeth :shock: ,and now i'm too sore to play trumpet :-(

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thank you Gary, that is very kind of you. I believe it also depends on what we are focused on -- for me, in my comeback --- I have primarily focused on sound in all ranges ---- now the rhythms and the faster tempos are still a problem ---- but I am fairly competent on producing decent sound at all the ranges of notes that I can play. As far as the cavity questions --- I haven't been to a dentist for 30 years, and have relatively no discomfort, or pain that would indicate that I need to go to a dentist (((hey, If it ain't broke.....))) I have all 4 wisdom teeth in also, the dentist that I sit next to in community band, suggested that at this point (48 years old) that I should just leave them be, especially as long as they don't cause any problems ((( again, if it ain't broke))) ---

Genetics??? my Mom and Dad, now into their 70's and both have ALL THEIR TEETH!!!! ----- and neither one has ever played a wind instrument!!! -- so, yeah, GENETICS plays a huge part in healthy teeth!!!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have hit some nerves with a lady dentist before, but they definitely were not in her teeth;:evil:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I always figured unfilled cavities would add to the resonance and the filled ones would rattle and make the sound brighter.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh Vulgano Brother... never figured you out to be one that likes the sound of screaming.

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pain is an illusion. Then again, so are my dates with Jennifer Aniston....

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My life would be a lot easier if many of my patient's believed this.

In the right place... at the right time... illusion can become a reality... It happened to me with Kate Jackson.

8. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Kate Jackson, huh? I watched her dance at a strip club in Northern Idaho. Nice, big smile.

9. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    .... a strip club in northern Idaho ... ahhh, memories of traveling through Post Falls.

10. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, drmctchr, you never spent the night in Wallace, did you? ;-)